PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Reactions: The Clay King
A buddy of mine was in a Civil War cannon crew. He only did it to get access to that specific gunpowder they use, which he made into homemade fireworks. Weird Hobby. That was like 20 years ago, and he only did it for a short time. We all gave him hell for it though, because only "certain types" do those civil war things here. And, he didn't have a sister to sleep with, ha ha. He is now just a millionaire car collector that hangs out with Jay Leno these days.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I don’t have the single-minded energy and commitment to do it well, but I’m glad there are people who do.

Also, this thread reminded me of this classic from The Onion:

The Onion

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I used to act like I was Scottish bagpipes player with full regimental uniform. But that went out of fashion and the bands decided to go with civilian day wear.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I started Civil War reenacting when I was in the 8th grade, my social studies teacher and math teacher were big into it. We had before school clubs that we could join and they had a Civil War club. I was a new kid at the school that year, having moved from Kansas to Nebraska the summer before. I signed up for it. I know it seems like a really odd thing to do, but I feel in love with history because of those two guys.

I reenacted from 13 all the way up to 33, when the group I was part of was absorbed by another group that was a little to hardcore about it all. I still do some living history work with the museum here in my hometown and the one in the next big town over.

To answer your question if I smoke my pipes when I am involved with the living history side of things, it depends. If it is an event that it would be appropriate for me to do so, I do. If it is demonstrating something for a group of school age kids, no.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I was very involved in medieval recreation for almost 20 years. Full armored, live steel combat.
Sadly, I do not have much in the way of photos and nothing scanned that I can post.

Kinda like this:
but not as team oriented and there was a social structure similar to the SCA.
The organization still exists in the form of The Adrian Empire of which I was a founding member.