Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
If there ever was a pipe-smoking musician, it has to be the bassist. Pipe smoking and the low end just go well together. So, what are the basses and bands of our pipe-smoking community? Please share!
This is my Fender MIJ Jazz Bass:
dVnZNDV.jpg

Reactions: vates

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
One of my earliest inspirations, Donald "Duck" Dunn
donald-duck-dunn.jpg

Look at all that glory. The bass, is truly a magnificent instrument.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I play guitar mainly but do have a bass. Epiphone Beatle bass.

Of course, there was Donald "Duck" Dunn of the Blues Brothers and SNL band.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
Duck Dunn! Of course! Don't forget Charles Mingus smoked a pipe too! And Derek Smalls.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Me, I am a pipe smoking bassist. No band anylonger just solo. Now I could never smoke and play at the same time. Haha too much going on at once.

Favorite bass, Fender P/J custom , mexican made, and I have my reasons for that

the amp; Gallien Kruger goldline (again I have my own reason ) , Ampeg B2, and Acoustic.

speaker cabs; one 15" Ampeg, one 15" Gallien Kruger, one 4x10 Gallien Kruger, and one Peavey 15".

effects; one rackable BBE sonic maximizer, and one envelope filter.
Add to the helter skelter one mad scientist (me) ! HahaahhaA! MADNESS.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
Favorite bass, Fender P/J custom , mexican made, and I have my reasons for that
I too have a Mexican P/J Fender. P-Body, P/J pickup arrangement, J-neck, Badass Bridge.

Aug 1, 2012
I'm not very good at bass but I do love playing it. I have an Ibanez BTB 305 an Ibanez Ergodyne and a Traveller bass all with DR Fat Beams. I know he's not a pipe smoker but I do love me some Victor Wooten bass work.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Yea Neverknowsbest, I put a bad ass bridge on mine too. As many basses as I have had I just leep comming back to my ole Fender. The tone the range it just has it all. I like it better than the much more expensive basses I have had. Oh, man the low fast action allows me to really burn that baby up.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Had a case of BAD recently and picked up an Ibanez SR705...

Edit- Is anyone else profoundly annoyed by photobucket lately?

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Ha, Ghost was the name of the first band I was in. It was based on the original greek meaning of the name visitor. The concept was we were visitors in your club so it was really your show. We were very interactive with our audience. Fun stuff. Fun band.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I picked up the electric bas a few years ago. Just been learning and playing for fun, but I'd love to find a group and jam once in a while.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Find an open mic night some where near you and you can jam with several people and groups. Its quite fun .

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
For a splendid custom bass try Willy Franklin, Pittsburgh, Pa. He was the bassist for the Billy Price R & B band for many years but freelances now and designs basses.
http://willyfranklin.com/

Reactions: anotherbob

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Here is my bass guitar. I got it a couple of years ago. Stingrays are for me the apex of bass guitars. I saw this one and had to get it. Boy the tons I can get out this sucker. My next bass will be a fender jazz bass, I want the jazz bass because inactive pick ups sometimes work better with a fuzz pedal than the active pick-ups do. But damn when I run my EB SLO Special through my Catalinbread gain pedal on 16 voltz it growls like a bad ass grizzly. Man I love it.

keeper

Lurker
Jun 29, 2010
I've been playing for about 17 years, now. Nothing terribly serious... a few bar bands and such, but have always enjoyed it. I think pipe smoking and bass playing attract the same sort of people, so I'm not surprised there's more than a few here.
These days I have a:
2005 Fender Jazz American Vintage '62 RI

1995 Fender American Standard P-bass

1995 Fender American Standard P-bass fretless
My amp is a Thunderfunk TF550-B through a pair of Bergantino 112's.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I'm a casual bass player and also recently returned to smoking pipe after a 15-year hiatus.
A hoarder by nature, I've got too many basses to list.

Here I am playing my custom Mike Lull V4 in a dark-country band:

Tried to play while smoking a pipe, but I much prefer separating these endeavors.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.