PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Of my smoked 21 Dunhills - three are bad smokers,smokes hot.

Of my smoked 75 Petersons two are bad smokers,also hot.

But I am still buying Petersons,latest three of these POY 2017 nr 3, 91 and 103 smooth finish.
I mostly do in English,Irish and a little French.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good pipes are where you find them. Ditto bad ones. I've seen laughably bad specimens of prestige brands, and glorious specimens made by "workingman" companies.
It's a lot like franchise restaurants, I think, where everything depends on who manages the place, and---especially---who's working in the kitchen that day.
So true. And the latter is also influenced by nearby competition, and location, location and location.... Though I have not sampled Denny's or Big Mac on the Monterey Peninsula. (!)

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Nording pipes I shy away from. I find their draw to tight. But I would say I stay away from shapes more than makers. And almost never buy a pipe that does not have a lucite stem.

I'm not repulsed by them, I just don't care for the "fat leg" thick ankle look of Petersons. Sure, sure everyone has someone who finds them attractive. I'm confident that there are plenty of guys out there that will give the fat girls a dance. :puffy:

Haven't seen a BriarWorks pipe that appeals to me either. Weird proportions to me, like a girl with eyes too close or no upper lip. They always miss the mark for me.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
The White Spot.
Some years ago, Kevin posted his experience meeting the tobacco-loathing head honcho ... who the hell would want to put money in that hypocrite's pocket?
I may find a birth year Dunhill worth buying someday, but the "new" Dunhill can die a slow, undignified death as far as I'm concerned.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Some wonderful answers, and I love the funny ones!

The one brand that came to mind was Kaywoodie!

I got one in my first year, and it gave me trouble every time. (newbie)

I have acquired a couple more since, and they're actually quite good, but my 'first impression' lingers, and the Kaywoodie stingers remain mostly at rest.
Switching from a wide open cob to a Kaywoodie stingered pipe requires a change of pace, but it is not that difficult to do.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
MSO:
I've got a soft spot for Canadian pipes and those vintage "Made in Canada" Brighams are worth the fooling around with the maple inserts. (It's the only filter I use.) Now, go buy a Blatter & Blatter and find out why they're the best kept secret in the pipe smoking world. I'm sure mine are on the low end but three of the four I own are loved every week.
That said, one of my very favorite quick smokes is a Dr. Grabow Berwyck coupon pipe from the early 60's. Yeah, a coupon pipe pushing aside a '27 Dunhill and a Comoy's Blue Ribbon from the mid forties.
Like Mr. Dibos said:
It's a lot like franchise restaurants, I think, where everything depends on who manages the place, and---especially---who's working in the kitchen that day.
I'm convinced my flawed Berwyck bowl should've been an El Dorado.
Fnord

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend to avoid pipes that get above the 1.6 to 1.8 ounce weight. I like them in the lower weights unless their size requires them to be heavier. This isn't brand specific, but some pipes seem to run in the heavier range, Castello for example (out of my price range, at least new, in most cases). I have some larger pipes I enjoy for long contemplative seated pipe smoking, but even these tend to be lighter weight for their size. I'd guess my heaviest maybe be 2.5 ounces. I have a Ser Jacopo that I would describe as a Group 4 verging on 5, that is pleasingly light weight for its size, bought in a remarkable discount sale at SP; I'll never see that price on a new SJ again.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
1. Kaywoodies (or any pipe with a stinger) - I hate that damn stinger.

2. Danish pipes - I usually do not find the freehand look very attractive.

3. Almost any pipe over $150, which seems to be my limit for buying a pipe.

4. Nosewarmers or any pipe under 5 inches - I just seem to suck at smoking short pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
markthelad, It's a little difficult to find selections of new Kaywoodie pipes, but the new ones I have located online are nearly all push-bit these days. They tend to be smaller; apparently the available supply of blocks for moderately priced pipes is generally smaller, but it seems Kaywoodie has stopped making stinger pipes. I have a Saxon push bit that is small, but a good little smoker.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
mso, I did buy one of the newer Kaywoodies, a Red root billiard.

I liked the finish and the overall look, but I thought that the stem felt cheaply made and it seems to smoke kind of hot.

I still smoke it, but not often, maybe I'll try it without the stinger.

Besides that one, I have 1 other Kaywoodie (a lovat)and it has that damn stinger in it, so I'm thinking about selling it on ebay.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Castellos. They may be fine crafted pipes but I've yet to find a shape that is appealing to me. I think they're all as ugly as my mother-in law.
Boswell Monster pipes: I'm not interested in wearing leather masks or gloves and grunting while smoking one.
Peterson. All the new Petersons from about 1990 to present. Too many reasons to list here, but most of you know the problems they have since TP took the reins. Now the old Petes I love.... and I have 4 that are my work-horses.
Those metal pipes with the wooden screw on bowls...forget the name of those things. In general I don't like metal and heat together.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I tend to avert my eyes from Savanelli's, Stanwells, Petersons, etc... Factory pipes in that $100-$200 range. They are so ordinary and available everywhere. There are so many quality pipe makers that work with their hands and use better materials in that price range.
#2 Every now and then I will splurge for an expensive pipe if I like it enough. I'd be more apt to buy a vintage Charatan or a new Ferndown, Cavicchi, Ashton, Il Duca, Rubio, Baki, Eltang and less likely to get a Dunhill. While I really like the look and feel of Dunhills, the price sucks. I think there are some nice Ben Wade's and Ashton's that measure up.
#3 I avoid full bent pipes. Skaters and saddle stem Billiards sing to me.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Butz Choquin. They only one I have is heavily lacquered, and when I got in 1981 I was still a newbie, and hot wet pipes were an every day occurrence for me. I still have that thing, and still to this day I won't smoke it unless it is cold outside. It smokes fine when the ambient air temp is around 40 degrees F. I have heard that sanding the lacquer off would fix it, but after 40 years I figure it's not worth the effort. But I won't buy another one.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Kirkland's mother-in-law:
article-2116079-1233_E8_F4000005_DC-606_308x425.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.