PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I really like the Zulu shape and the 268s that I've seen look really nice.
Just bought my first Peterson - an Irish Made 120 that I'm really enjoying - great smoker. Any 268 smokers out there? And what do you think of them?

When I first started collecting the semi bent dublin or zulu was my favorite. I became disenchanted with the oval shanks though. Just a preference thing. I never tried one of the Pete dubs because of that shank, but I would be more open to it now, after being into bulldogs and billiards for so long now. Of the Peterson shapes, I do like it the best. I don't really care for their bents at all, and their bulldogs look so heavy handed. You would think that for an Irish company, they would specialize in Dublins a little more. I am pretty sure that calling those shapes a "Dublin" was a slight towards the Irish, but they could have "riff'd" on that and made it their own.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
My Zulu is the Savinelli 404 Cocktail. I really like the Comoy's Zulu (87) as well, but didn't realize they didn't make them anymore. I remember seeing a nice Musico one as well. I find the Peterson 268 does a fine rendition of the shape. 20211005_122217.jpg

Reactions: Puff nstuff

Perimeter_Road

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2021
Berkeley, California
And what do you think of the Donegal finish? Yours looks almost pure black.
I like the donegal finish. It’s not the prettiest but I find it unique, feels good in my hand and dissipates the heat quite well. I like how much it contrasts with the smoothness of the band and stem. The red stain on the peaks of the ridges shows up more when I’m outside in the sunlight.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I like the donegal finish. It’s not the prettiest but I find it unique, feels good in my hand and dissipates the heat quite well. I like how much it contrasts with the smoothness of the band and stem. The red stain on the peaks of the ridges shows up more when I’m outside in the sunlight.
I actually thought at first it was the Aran - but then I realized that the Aran doesn't have the silver band.

tmcg81

May 8, 2020
NJ
I had one from the Cara line. It was truly a beautiful pipe but I found that I never smoked it so I traded it in.