PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldy

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2011
I'm a spacey nut who happen to have a huge interest in all things space.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@vroomfondel
If you're into Stephen Hawking's stuff, you would probably really dig "The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos".
He is actually really good at explaining complex theories for a general audience. I listen to it while I'm driving, and when I have to pay more attention to driving and didn't concentrate on what he was saying 100%, then I have to rewind.
The paradoxes are mind-blowing too. The universe, or multi-verse is both finite and infinite - it just depends which part you are talking about.
The Speed of Light is also no longer the "speed limit" of the universe ... enter the possibility of time travel.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I find it very sad that we can afford wars and other non-productive things but not manned space exploration. We should have a moon habitat by now.
I also like Star Trek (especially TNG).

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I love reading old Space science books. From the 1950 when we knew almost nothing for certain about the Moon, through the 1960s and early 1970s when the idea of continued production of the Saturn V meant lots of great ideas from the Apollo Applications Project. It is a pity that not only was production closed down, but the last two Saturn Vs never even flew. Some of the plans for what would have followed the first landings were amazing.
I also love the idea of almost identical parallel Universes with another version of me. I just hope he is doing better than I am! :rofl: - I think that Stephen Hawkins is truly amazing. It's frightening to think that, had he been born just a couple of generations ago, that wonderful mind would have been trapped with no way of expressing himself.
It reminds me of one of my favourite episodes of the sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf. The four crew members go back in time and space to stock up on curry sauce from 20th Century Earth. Unfortunately they mistakenly materialise on the 6th floor of a Book Depository over looking Dealey Plazza, Dallas at around 12:30 on the 22nd November 1963. In doing so, they startle a man aiming a rifle out of the window, causing his shot to miss. The change of the time line leads to disaster for the United States over the following years as the Presidents affairs become public knowledge. The episodes ends with the crew persuading President Kennedy to come back in time with them to put things right. The President takes the shot that returns the time line how it was, from a small grass covered hill or knoll, before vanishing as he no longer exists in our time frame.

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
If you're into Stephen Hawking's stuff, you would probably really dig "The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos".
Sweet, thanks for the tip. Just had it sent to my Kindle and will enjoy it with a nice bowl Of McClelland Christmas Cheer 2006 tonight.
I also like Star Trek (especially TNG).
Awesome! I have a very nice model of the Enterprise D sitting right next to my desk!
I think that Stephen Hawkins is truly amazing. It's frightening to think that, had he been born just a couple of generations ago, that wonderful mind would have been trapped with no way of expressing himself.
+1 He is truly a giant of the mind.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Vroomfondel - Just wondered, are you a member of the "Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and other Professional Thinking Persons" by any chance?? :)

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
@withnail
I may or may not be. Couldn't tell you which, because I demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
:worship:
*nerdhighfive*

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
That PBS Series based on Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos is out on DVD. Excellent book, excellent series. Well worth buying the book and the DVD.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
The Speed of Light is also no longer the "speed limit" of the universe ... enter the possibility of time travel.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/nov/18/neutrinos-still-faster-than-light

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
imagesCACZ8Y4F.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.