Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
I'm new on this forum, but had many good years on the old Alt.Smokers.Pipes (ASP) Bulletin Board group (I know that lots of you young guys don't even know what a Bulletin Board group was ....) Any old ASPers in here (other than Greg Pease ...)?

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I was a regular participant. I especially enjoyed the conversations with Sailorman Jack! I even bought a few of the ASP Meeschaums!

whitebar

Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I spent many hours there back in the 1990s and like Mike S. I miss how things were back then.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yup. I first became Internetified in 1992.
The Usenet groups faded when the www appeared, and the www's peak seems to have been appx five years ago, when Bookface, Snipchit, InstaGranny, and so forth hit critical mass. (Gak)
because of that last shift the PipeWorld has become dangerously diffuse, imo. Scattered. Plus, the instant gratification "bulletin style" announcement apps don't allow significant discussion, only archive-less chatter. (Check out the Tocacciana History board here to see the sort of thing that's at risk these days.)
Oh well. I think the sky would look cooler if it was a mellow tangerine-y yellow-orange instead of blue, too. :lol:

docwrite

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I spent time on ARPAnet for some years, mainly for academic uses, (and gossip), but it took me a while to even think of a pipe forum or BBS. A friend invited me to join a Usenet BBS, and soon found ASP in the mid 90s. I didn't post much there, but found the arguments informative and entertaining. I stopped going to ASP when the flaming stopped being entertaining, and craziness took purchase. Never went back for any length of time, as my friends were mostly then, or also, on web BBS, as they are now, although I still visit now and again, lurking.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
I was an avid ASP'er in the latter 90's and early 2000's. As a budding pipe smoker, I learned some great pipe and tobacco knowledge there and watched some epic flame wars - (and even tossed a cup or two of gasoline on the fire back in the day). Lesson learned - avoid flame wars like the plague. There is no "bad" pipe or tobacco - smoke what you like and like what you smoke - Everything's Zen. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.