PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have about a dozen estate pipes and once I clean them up, I don't have an issue smoking them.

I eat in restaurants and have no issues with silverware, glasses and cups.

Wearing used clothes and shoes...forget about it. It's not going to happen.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Haven’t bought a new pipe since I started collecting a brand that died out 50 years ago. So far—knock on, uh, briar—I haven’t bought one that doesn’t smoke well. Once I learned basic cleanup and light restoration skills I never looked back.

If you buy estates online, you do risk surprises no matter how many pictures are posted. My biggest so far had a stinger broken off inside the stummel where pics didn’t show. Heck of a time figuring out how to clear that. Don’t regret the purchase, though—it’s a great pipe now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sometimes they taste weird... that only adds to the problem of knowing that it spent time hanging out of somebody else's mouth.
Customers in pipe shops often test the airflow of new pipes and more often than not don't buy them. I've also seen new pipes at online retailers disappear for a few days or weeks only to return and be displayed as new though they've been purchased and returned unsmoked.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I know once and a while an estate thread comes up - Have any of you anything negative to say regarding buying estates? I'm talking about buying from reasonable sources/dealers not those one's people often complain of being fleeced on fleabay etc...
Anyone here prefer to opt for new over used? chime in
I really like them both perhaps equally. Perhaps Estates a bit more since its likely not many others have the same one.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I don't have any yet, but I like history and things that are old are interesting to me. I would like to have a pipe from 1800's.

Besides the eBay I have no idea where to look. Even if I did I wouldn't know heads from tails.

Some of the ones you guys post pictures of on here look awesome.

Reactions: Papamique

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sure there are negatives to Estate pipes.
Are there any negatives to new pipes?
I've had a blast obtaining an assortment of previously used pipes from all over the world and in all shapes and dimensions. I have purchased most from the auction site for less than $20.
Take a look at what a pre-drilled, or even non drilled ebauchon will cost you.
It's fascinating to read about all the manufacturers and carvers and well, any history about pipe smoking, including tobacco.

I've enjoyed cleaning them up and making them part of my experience.
I read lots of reborn pipes articles and read many many posts here.
I even listened to a broadcast with renowned pipe maker (old what's his name from VT?) I always think of Eltang, but it's Jim Cooke who learned about pipes by refurbishing and restoring old pipes.

I have yet to smoke a new briar since I took up pipes in earnest.

Status
Not open for further replies.