PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are not brand-proud, you can be equally thrifty with new pipes. It takes some shopping, and waiting, but many down market pipes are truly well made and smoke well, if you make a study of them. I treasure my up-market pipes, and I have bought a few bargain pipes that didn't turn out well, but you aren't compelled to buy estate pipes to get the quality you want. Some experience and sweat equity research will take you to some good new-pipe buys.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I bought any number of estates for the savings. I could pay $300 and get a $600 pipe, and in that way get quality that I couldn't otherwise afford.

On the other hand you may get someone else's problems; they sold the pipe. Didn't happen to me.

"Old Britwood" would seem to designate a class of pipes known to smoke very well, certainly by age but also by seasoning. I certainly don't everything. Let me say that again: I certainly don 't know everything. But when I hear pipe smokers opining about "the wood," I want to scream.

Briar on average is allowed to season three years. I've also heard that Castello has a pile higher than the Tower of Babel, and that on average they usually choose blocks with at least ten years. But that most makers age three years tells me that they think most impurities have leached out by then, which I suppose is also evidenced by the macro shaping. They know briar that is ready when they work it.

So three or ten years probably highlights the last 10% or 20% of remaining impurities. But I ask you, in your experience and in your reading, how many times did you smoke a pipe or read that others complained that the wood was "green?" How many times did a reviewer conclude that his tasting had been occluded by briar that had not matured?

So in my mind the claims about Old Britwood are simply part of pipe smoking mythology fueled by an entirely subjective process. You may find something true, but you can't tell others about it or make them partners in your smoking. Only you can be present for your palate, and only you can monitor the sense data of your consciousness. NOBODY else is home. You can go on moaning about Old Britwood, but to me it's fairly useless because not communicative

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought an unsmoked English estate pipe, a little factory made Plymouth, about ten years ago. It was a straight billiard, light weight clencher, and snappy looking, bought online from a photograph. Actually, I looked at that thing for about six or eight months, nobody bought it, and I finally clicked for it. I have maybe six or eight similar pipes, in shape and some in weight, but this one just never had the authenticity. It was a little too light weight and the stem too plastic, and not pleasing. I owned it for several years, and then traded it off. Brit wood, I thought would carry the day, but not that time. I had a similar problem with a Ben Wade, with a nice deep blast, that was over-finished and just looked like the briar was plastic, also traded off. So you get some hits and some misses.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have about 15% new and 85% estate. If I find a heavy smoked estate, it often says to me it smoked well for somebody. I clean them up and of we go. I would educate myself on older brands and buy from good people. This is VIP for me. If it's on eBay, it's got to be a seller I know and trust. I'm a big Pulver fan too. I don't buy from people who claim to know nothing about pipes, can't/won't answer questions and tell you it was grandpa's pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Given that my favorite British make hasn't been made in nearly 60 years, estates are the only way for me to go. The oldest pipe I smoke is nearing the tender age of 140 years.
I've had a few disappointments, but mostly joys. There's a learning curve to buying estates so that you don't spend money on an abused pipe. You have to know what to look for. And even then, there are always surprises. All that said, the pluses have far outweighed the minuses.

And when you find pipes like these:
W9I9CK1.jpg

L6Hv6Lx.jpg

4mSbg1c.jpg

Rosppgi.jpg

iJpeyRe.jpg

hzZwztQ.jpg

VeXDgAf.jpg

it's hard to complain.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know once and a while an estate thread comes up - Have any of you anything negative to say regarding buying estates? I'm talking about buying from reasonable sources/dealers not those one's people often complain of being fleeced on fleabay etc...
Anyone here prefer to opt for new over used? chime in
Kind of. I bought two estate pipes both unsmoked. The one had problems from the start which got fixed when I sent it back to the seller well after their policy states that's possible. It kept clogging which never has been an issue with any pipe. But it turns out someone had somehow got a pipe cleaner bit stuck in the stem that I couldn't get out. Probably bought it and returned it for credit after trying to force a pipe cleaner through it too see if it would pass one. That was frustrating and annoying but totally fine because I got a great pipe for a couple hundred less then new. But the thing is you never know what a person did with it or if it has an issue that isn't going to be detected until smoked. You know kind of similar to a brand new pipe but more so. Generally though the two I bought are have been great. But I think the majority of unsmoked estates available are returns. I suspected that after talking about a pipe I wanted someone said they bought one sent it back and then in the estate section that style of pipe shows up.... Which reminds me always look at the dimensions and and really think about what they mean.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Kind of. I bought two estate pipes both unsmoked. The one had problems from the start which got fixed when I sent it back to the seller well after their policy states that's possible. It kept clogging which never has been an issue with any pipe. But it turns out someone had somehow got a pipe cleaner bit stuck in the stem that I couldn't get out. Probably bought it and returned it for credit after trying to force a pipe cleaner through it too see if it would pass one. That was frustrating and annoying but totally fine because I got a great pipe for a couple hundred less then new. But the thing is you never know what a person did with it or if it has an issue that isn't going to be detected until smoked. You know kind of similar to a brand new pipe but more so. Generally though the two I bought are have been great. But I think the majority of unsmoked estates available are returns. I suspected that after talking about a pipe I wanted someone said they bought one sent it back and then in the estate section that style of pipe shows up.... Which reminds me always look at the dimensions and and really think about what they mean.
Interesting never thought of this - but I also had a problem, may have indeed been a return/I.R., with an 'unsmoked' estate so yes, nice addition to the thread.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't buy used pipes, cars, underwear, shoes, or other items. I like new stuff not, castoffs and can afford to do so. I could be enticed to buy a used pipe if it had historical significance as I do collect antiques of certain eras. So, I understand people having to purchase used when collecting extinct pipes.

Cleaning up other people's discards? Simply not how I wish to spend my time. Pipes I buy new but, do not measure up are tossed, not passed on to some unsuspecting smoker.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I don't buy used pipes, cars, underwear, shoes, or other items. I like new stuff not, castoffs and can afford to do so. I could be enticed to buy a used pipe if it had historical significance as I do collect antiques of certain eras. So, I understand people having to purchase used when collecting extinct pipes.

Cleaning up other people's discards? Simply not how I wish to spend my time. Pipes I buy new but, do not measure up are tossed, not passed on to some unsuspecting smoker.
feel free to pass them my way - what type of antiques have you got/?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

my two estates the one was something I couldn't afford used even but I knew I wanted it and it was a once off chance to buy it. Never felt much draw towards estate pipes though. I'd rather go new as well unless it's not an option or I am acting on the fallacy of sunken costs and already spending an arm and a leg and 130 just seems like small potatoes some how.

Reactions: bnichols23

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Interesting never thought of this - but I also had a problem, may have indeed been a return/I.R., with an 'unsmoked' estate so yes, nice addition to the thread.
either it was sitting on a shelf or. And if you look a lot of unsmoked estates are small pipes I guess people didn't really pay attention and assumed they were getting a bigger pipe.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I bought any number of estates for the savings. I could pay $300 and get a $600 pipe, and in that way get quality that I couldn't otherwise afford.

On the other hand you may get someone else's problems; they sold the pipe. Didn't happen to me.

"Old Britwood" would seem to designate a class of pipes known to smoke very well, certainly by age but also by seasoning. I certainly don't everything. Let me say that again: I certainly don 't know everything. But when I hear pipe smokers opining about "the wood," I want to scream.

Briar on average is allowed to season three years. I've also heard that Castello has a pile higher than the Tower of Babel, and that on average they usually choose blocks with at least ten years. But that most makers age three years tells me that they think most impurities have leached out by then, which I suppose is also evidenced by the macro shaping. They know briar that is ready when they work it.

So three or ten years probably highlights the last 10% or 20% of remaining impurities. But I ask you, in your experience and in your reading, how many times did you smoke a pipe or read that others complained that the wood was "green?" How many times did a reviewer conclude that his tasting had been occluded by briar that had not matured?

So in my mind the claims about Old Britwood are simply part of pipe smoking mythology fueled by an entirely subjective process. You may find something true, but you can't tell others about it or make them partners in your smoking. Only you can be present for your palate, and only you can monitor the sense data of your consciousness. NOBODY else is home. You can go on moaning about Old Britwood, but to me it's fairly useless because not communicative
Sorry, Brother, I have to disagree with you a bit. I HAVE bought new pipes that smoked wet. Tobacco was dry and was not the culprit. I haven't had that problem since I started buying better pipes, and I do thing curing time and process matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.