Any Magic: The Gathering Players Around Here?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So I picked up Magic: The Gathering back around 94 or 95 from my brother who was pretty big into it at the time. I used to play with him and his friends and played continuously until the end of the original Urza's block, then dropped out of the game for a while. I introduced a friend to it around the time that Dark Steel and Fifth Dawn rolled around and we played for a little while, then kind of dropped off again until a few months ago when a few of the local neighborhood kids said that they played. When I saw the sheer amount of stuff that I skipped out on over the years, my mind was blown. I picked up watching The Command Zone and fell in love with the EDH format. I talked to my friend that I had played with all those years ago and showed him The Command Zone, and we both immediately clamored to get back into the game, because honestly, EDH looked like the most fun thing to do ever. We all now have a huge get together every other Friday night, where there are anywhere from 5 to 12 of us all engaged in a rotating game, and I also routinely participate in Commander nights on Tuesdays and Thursdays at my two local LGS locations. I've met a ton of great people doing this and it's such a rich, rewarding, strategic game with several thousands of different strategies and ways to play. So to my fellow Magic players, where you all at?!

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I used to play it almost every weekend with some friends, although we had limited decks. We did notice that a lot of the games do not necessarily require skill to win, but in someway more about whom spend the most money in building their deck. Especially if you play with decks from different editions, they can be quite unbalanced (we play with cards from than 20 years old till now). So lately I prefer games where both players start with the same deck and build it up along the way (like Dominion).

I am not saying Magic does not require any skill(in fact it requires tremendous skill), it does if one plays against a player with a deck of similar value and edition as is done in the official competitions.

Jan 8, 2013
I was a D&D and similar style game player. Although I tried a few times, I could never get into Magic or other card games.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Does anyone else feel that Forums is a sort of gaming experience in its own right? You don't exactly win, but some threads are kind of a team win.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I spent some time in the Big Brother program in the mid 90's and my Little Brother got me into it.
I no longer make time to play but I have a small collection of "legacy" cards taking up space in my "man cave"/command center/ATF room.
The white boxes house about 15k cards, which some day. I'll either dust off and play, sell for food and Geritol or use as rifle targets.
cards1-600x292.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
We're a Magic house!

I play with my three teenage boys about once a month. Sometimes my wife joins in, too.

Our preferred format is Commander.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was a D&D and similar style game player. Although I tried a few times, I could never get into Magic or other card games.
A comic ship owner gave me a starter pack complete with table map and glass counter beads back in the summer of '95 to review for the shop. Played it for a few months, but AD&D's Dark Sun took up the majority of my gaming time.

Jan 8, 2013
but AD&D's Dark Sun took up the majority of my gaming time.
Dark Sun was a cool campaign setting, and they put out some fantastic novels based in that setting as well. Unfortunately, at the time of its release it was overshadowed by Forgotten Realms (of course) and Ravenloft (which was quite popular then as well), and I don't think it gained much popularity. My favorite setting was always Dragonlance, however.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I used to play a lot around '98-'03, and spent thousands on cards. I got married had a kids and moved. All my cards stayed behind with some of my stuff that I left at my parents house. A decade later when my parents moved and brought me the box of keepsakes that I had stashed at their house(comics, baseball cards and magic the gathering stuff), all the good stuff was gone, and all that was left was wedding photos and common baseball cards. My parents didnt know, nor cared it all looked the same to them. So last year I bought a few starter decks and some stuff that was on clearance at a drug store and have been teaching my kids the ropes. There are people who play in my neighborhood, I see them dueling on the ferry, and some of my friends have started campaigning DnD 3rd edition again. I told them Id play if we could keep the campaigns to around 4 hours.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I used to play alot about 5 years ago or so. I would like to play more but it's hard to get everyone I know who plays together with our different schedules and what not. I dont even want to admit how much money I have in invested in cards, we also used to call it "cardboard crack"

Jul 15, 2011
We're a Magic house!

I play with my three teenage boys about once a month. Sometimes my wife joins in, too.

Our preferred format is Commander.
Yeah the commander format I've come to find is about the most "budget" (I use the term loosely) format around, and constantly having an option for a game either at the shop or at my biker friends house means I always have someone to game with. The multiplayer aspect is a ton of fun, and alliances are always being made and bonds are always broken. But given how long I've been playing and the degenerate things I get up to, the alliances are almost always everyone trying to kill me first. :rofl:
Still, it's a ton of fun, and I love brewing decks and coming up with new ideas for the game.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
This thread has me wanting to dig out my Phyrexian Obliterator deck and host a magic night at my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.