PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I have a whole slew of English blends, VAs, VaPers, etc but out of curiousity I added a "luxury pouch" of Prince Albert to my latest order from SmokingPipes. I figured I'd leave it at my office in case I need to step out for a smoke break, so as not to rush through any of my more expensive/exotic tobaccos.

Well I just took a stroll with a pipeful of The Prince, and I'll be damned if it wasn't a pleasant experience. I bet it would be even more enjoyable indoors where flavors are more focused, but even outdoors and on-the-go it was mighty fine stuff. It burned well and stayed lit, and it had solid flavor that only wavered once or twice throughout the bowl (tasted ever so slightly like a cheap drugstore cigar, but only for one or two brief moments).

I smoked it in a small, straight apple shaped briar, but I've heard folks often suggest a cob.

Does anyone here have any love for Prince Albert in their rotation? Or are we mostly on to fancier things?

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I tried Carter Hall back in my early pipe days (2003 or so?). It was decent, but didn't leave quite the impression that Prince Albert has. I can't expound on that as I don't have any tasting notes or anything.

Totally understand. I did the same with SWR. I think Prince Albert will be something I like. Just need to let it breathe a bit. Pouch smelled a bit funky when first opened.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't really like drug store blends. Most of them at best I find blandly inoffensive. Prince Albert's at least tastes and smokes like pipe tobacco. I honestly think if my only source of nicotine was a pipe and I didn't snus or snuff, then I would start to appreciate the stuff. Alternatively if I can't get the tobaccos I want then I'll be smoking Five Brothers and likely something like P.A.. You know what is awesome about P.A. you won't have to look too far to find a pouch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a fondness for PA only because it was the only and favored tobacco of a guy in his nineties we met when my wife was in rehab after hip surgery. He'd sold Dodge cars and eighteen wheelers during his career and was a pipe smoker. I find it pleasant but very tame, and the flavoring a bit too coequal with the tobacco. I enjoy some codger and pouch blends, but not PA so much.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I like it! I'll buy a pouch now and then. The only real problem I have with the Prince is that there are a number of blends that scratch that lightly-flavored burley itch a bit better for me. But i think it's a good blend.

Interesting. Anyone care to suggest any high-end (artisan) burleys in case I want to spend more money than I have to? ;)

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
When I first got back into piping, I went through a long PA phase. I much prefer it to Carter Hall, but I found I like SWR better than both. PA has the fullest dark coco like flavor of them all, but I really dig the mild licorice flavor of SWR. I found Lane Ready Rubbed to be similar in flavor to PA, but more of a milk-chocolatey flavor than PAs cocopuffs. I prefer the cut of LLRR as well. IMO, PA is still the best grocery store option around here, with CH, Borkum Riff, and Captain Black being its biggest competition. I seem to crave it on really hot days for some reason. I like it better in a smaller bowled briar than a cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.