PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Recently I've started to explore what some call the Kilted Life; that is wearing Scottish style kilts as part of a normal garment rotation. Contrary to belief, one doesn't have to be Scottish to don the kilt, but one should wear a kilt respectfully even if doing so more casual than say to full formal get up. I've followed a YouTube channel produced by USA Kilts (in Spring City, PA) to educate myself on kilt culture. Pictured here: US Army tartan.

So just curious as to whether there are any other kilted folk on this forum.

Keep Calm And Kilt OnKilted 1.jpg

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
My question is, why?

And I promise, I don't mean that in any negative way at all. I'm genuinely curious to know if this is purely a matter of style? Cultural reverence? Or perhaps there's some practical aspects to the kilt that shorts or conventional pants don't offer (keeps things cool down under?)

I can see how it might be fun to wear a kilt and play golf, for the full Scottish experience!

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I actually saw a man on a hiking trail out here in California wearing a kilt. So yeah, I'm interested in knowing if there is something practical about it.

My gym coach in high school yelled at me (out loud) "What are those two white strings hanging from your gym shorts? Oh... those are your legs! "

Permanently scarred.

So it would probably be best for everyone that I stick to long pants, lol

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Contrary to belief, one doesn't have to be Scottish to don the kilt,
True but, wearing a clan tartan is wrong if you are not a part of the that clan. In my opinion, you are disrespecting that clan and it's members. So, get a kilt that isn't in a "clan" kilt. Or, not. If you want to be a clan wannabe, wear what you wish I suppose.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Used to when I completed in bagpipes competitions. And St. Andrew's Society meetings when pipers were needed. Then there was St. Paddy's day, Burns's dinner, parades.. It's comfortable garment if it's made out of saxony wool. But top quality worsted wool from Scotland can be heavy specially with full horse hair military sporran. I used to prefer hand knitted kilt hose. Looks great, but can be hot as hell in NC weather. Still have my kilts and other items, but have no reason to wear them.

Regarding tartans, even if you are not associated with a clan, there are government, regional, city and organization tartans. And some clans will allow certain people to wear their tartan. Scouters who have completed Wood Badge are allow to wear MacLaren tartan and can be a non-voting member. I did complete Wood Badge. I was allowed to wear McLeod of Harris tartan for being in their old band. Some bands will just wear what they think is nice tartan without clan association.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Wow - lot's of great questions and comments. I'll see if I can encapsulate some responses - sorry for the TLDR potential.

Why? For me, it's just something interesting to try. My daughter thinks I have Scottish heritage and I decided to get a DNA test from a lab not connected to Ancestry or 123. So for starters I am American; my DNA tracks to about 50% English, 20% German, 11% Nordic, 7% Irish and about 3% Scottish - and the rest is a mix. With a little history study, my DNA tracks right there with the history of how the UK was formed.

But, we're not in Scotland. True, and in Scotland, most men do not wear kilts outside of formal gatherings. But from what I gather, they're rather tolerant of Americans honoring Scottish history. As far as Clans, with DNA and Heritage research, a good deal of people have some Scottish ancestry they can trace to a Clan. Some will recognize a spouse's lineage, and wear their tartan. And as Warren pointed out, there are Universal Tartans open to anyone. Here's a "secret" though, there are only a few Restricted Tartans where no kilt maker or weaver will sell it without the proper patents. For example, King Charles has the restricted Royal Tartan. Otherwise, it's self-governed as there aren't really any Kilt Police.

We Americans also have invented something called a utility kilt. It's kilt like in that it's wrapped, no legs and has quasi-pleats, but it's not a real Scottish kilt. Think Carhart-meets-Kilt with pockets and places for EDC doo-dads. Many hikers like this option. But why hike in a kilt? Leg-room and breezy feeling. You can also hike in a tartan, especially since that was the only option in the ancient days.

Wind Concerns - yep, definitely a concern depending on the kilt material and weight. Did you remember a kilt pin to weigh the apron? And always...did I see what I thought I just saw???? Hmmm...Regimental or under pinnings? You do you - but me? I'm a bit more modest and feel no need to scare small children or excite the ladies at my Mom's Assisted Living center.

All in all, my limited experience has been surprisingly positive. Crazy that after I've tried it, I've thought, "Why did we ever put on pants?" I've worn it to Church, dinner and even an outdoor work function. The Kilt is a proper man's garment and I've gotten compliments from men and women. I've posed for pics and in general try to be a "kilt ambassador" as much as I like to share my pipe collection.

Thanks for the comments - sorry for the wordy response.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think if Americans want to wear kilts, they should only be permitted to wear them indoors.
Can you imagine Donald Trump or Kanye West say, playing a round at St. Andrew's in a kilt? Nobody wants to see that..... Especially not on a windy day.
That's why you tie a broomstick around one of your legs. When they ask "What was that?" You pull out your sgian dudh and say "how much of it would you like to see?"

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
it's self-governed as there aren't really any Kilt Police.
There are, unofficial of course. If they're polite they will keep their disgust to themselves and hope the offender quickly returns to the "States." Tourist moneys are important so most, clan proud Scots will swallow their discomfort and tolerate the situation.

One of my subordinates, a certified Stirling, berated our captain for wearing the tartan to a Department picnic. Caused a bit of disruption, that.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Wow - lot's of great questions and comments. I'll see if I can encapsulate some responses - sorry for the TLDR potential.

Why? For me, it's just something interesting to try. My daughter thinks I have Scottish heritage and I decided to get a DNA test from a lab not connected to Ancestry or 123. So for starters I am American; my DNA tracks to about 50% English, 20% German, 11% Nordic, 7% Irish and about 3% Scottish - and the rest is a mix. With a little history study, my DNA tracks right there with the history of how the UK was formed.

But, we're not in Scotland. True, and in Scotland, most men do not wear kilts outside of formal gatherings. But from what I gather, they're rather tolerant of Americans honoring Scottish history. As far as Clans, with DNA and Heritage research, a good deal of people have some Scottish ancestry they can trace to a Clan. Some will recognize a spouse's lineage, and wear their tartan. And as Warren pointed out, there are Universal Tartans open to anyone. Here's a "secret" though, there are only a few Restricted Tartans where no kilt maker or weaver will sell it without the proper patents. For example, King Charles has the restricted Royal Tartan. Otherwise, it's self-governed as there aren't really any Kilt Police.

We Americans also have invented something called a utility kilt. It's kilt like in that it's wrapped, no legs and has quasi-pleats, but it's not a real Scottish kilt. Think Carhart-meets-Kilt with pockets and places for EDC doo-dads. Many hikers like this option. But why hike in a kilt? Leg-room and breezy feeling. You can also hike in a tartan, especially since that was the only option in the ancient days.

Wind Concerns - yep, definitely a concern depending on the kilt material and weight. Did you remember a kilt pin to weigh the apron? And always...did I see what I thought I just saw???? Hmmm...Regimental or under pinnings? You do you - but me? I'm a bit more modest and feel no need to scare small children or excite the ladies at my Mom's Assisted Living center.

All in all, my limited experience has been surprisingly positive. Crazy that after I've tried it, I've thought, "Why did we ever put on pants?" I've worn it to Church, dinner and even an outdoor work function. The Kilt is a proper man's garment and I've gotten compliments from men and women. I've posed for pics and in general try to be a "kilt ambassador" as much as I like to share my pipe collection.

Looking smart and well done for embracing it. You are right, in Scotland we generally only wear them for formal occasions, posh dinners/dances, but mainly weddings. Most people don't own one and tend to hire them for weddings. Hire can be expensive, so I bought my own about 29 years ago. I have had to fit extra kilt buckles (like adding extra holes on a belt). We are happy to see their wear spread far and wide. People don't mind what tartan anyone wears, and in fact most Scots don't know their clan tartans. I will raise a glass for your efforts.
IMG-20230731-WA0021.jpg

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
"Why did we ever put on pants?"
A good 2,000 years ago, pants were considered by the more developed civilizations as something only barbarians would wear. Maybe they were onto something! Between toga parties in my 20s and my avid use of a housecoat at home, I think there’s something to be said about letting the boys air out.

Maybe they’ll come back into fashion in our lifetimes 🤔 One man’s fashion scofflaw is another’s tastemaker.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Looking smart and well done for embracing it. You are right, in Scotland we generally only wear them for formal occasions, posh dinners/dances, but mainly weddings. Most people don't own one and tend to hire them for weddings. Hire can be expensive, so I bought my own about 29 years ago. I have had to fit extra kilt buckles (like adding extra holes on a belt). We are happy to see their wear spread far and wide. People don't mind what tartan anyone wears, and in fact most Scots don't know their clan tartans. I will raise a glass for your efforts.
View attachment 256112
Slainte mhath!!!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas

Being of Scottish descent, (yeah the user name might throw you but we're actually Ulster Scots). in the past thought about getting a kilt in a Mackay pattern given my surname is a clansman name of the Mackays. But really, other than various modern clan societies listing all the surnames they associate with their clan. am sure the vast majority of clan loving Scottish descendants will never know if their ancestors ever were part of a clan. Clan system was really only active in the highlands. Didn't buy one as I'd have only worn it to an annual Scottish festival which is sadly no more.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
True but, wearing a clan tartan is wrong if you are not a part of the that clan. In my opinion, you are disrespecting that clan and it's members.

My kids, in other contexts, would call that cultural appropriation. I have another name for it but I’m too classy to say what it is.

Reactions: warren

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
My kids, in other contexts, would call that cultural appropriation. I have another name for it but I’m too classy to say what it is.
I sort of agree to a point. The military calls it something else entirely. I tend, after a career of minding other people's business. to ignore such faux pas, I attribute such behavior to ignorance. My only intent was to point out the error in the OP's initial post and inform him that wearing, unmerited clan attire would, in fact, rile probably more that a few of that clan.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon