PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
I go through prodigious piles of audiobooks in the course of my job - Sitting in the workshop and sanding and filing for long periods of time gets pretty darned dull, so it helps to put on a good book to listen to. I first got hooked on audiobooks ages ago when I worked as a sales rep and drove many long hours every day. Anyway, I occasionally post short reviews to another forum I frequent (mainly devoted to horror/SF/geek stuff) and could repost a few here too if anyone is interested.
Best one I've listened to lately is Peter Clines' "14", a wonderfully fun blend of horror, comedy, "Lost"-style mystery, and Scooby Doo.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't know if you guys know about this site: librivox.org

You can download tons of movies and more importantly audio books.

Everything on there is free, and "in the public domain".

I have all the of the Sherlock Holmes and listen to them daily.

I probably have a couple of them memorized. :)

There are also all the old radio dramas, and tons of other cool stuff.

I download the MP3 and put them on my phone.

:puffpipe:

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Peter Clines' "14"
I recently finished this audiobook and loved it. It was loads of fun. It is by Peter Clines, an author whose work I've previously read in "Ex-Heroes", a very straightforward genre mashup of superheroes and zombies (After the zombie apocalypse, the world's masked avenger types round up the survivors in LA and attempt to defend them inside a fortified compound. This was every bit as entertaining and as dumb as it sounds).
14 was a whole different kettle of fish, and it's as hard to review as the movie Triangle, because I don't want to give away what made it so cool. It's like a combination of Lost and Lovecraft, with a mystery/horror/SF bent. The hero is a young slacker type who works as a data entry temp and is stuck in that "Waiting for his life to start" phase, when he finds a new apartment that is too good to be true - Incredibly cheap rent, included utilities, and a nice building. After moving in, however, he begins to notice oddities - The elevator is always in the basement, the building has no power lines going to it, his kitchen light fixture turns any bulb put into it into a black light, and his neighbors are a collection of oddities. Tim is a former book publisher with a skill range from James Bond, there's a young actress who spends her time topless on the roof, and computer nerd Veek is a cranky geekette with an apartment so crammed with high powered PC gear that she could run a company.
The book is about the deepening mystery as these disparate characters begin to cooperate, Scooby Doo fashion, to delve into the mysteries and secrets of their strange building. I went into it expecting either a haunted apartment story or an evil landlord story, and instead got the Phantasm effect - That feeling I had way back when first watching Phantasm, that I was completely expecting the story about a funeral home to be a ghost or vampire movie and instead got weird yellow-blooded aliens and fingers turning into crazy bugs and evil jawas from another dimension. 14 is an ongoing succesion of unexpected twists and discoveries and weirdness that goes from Mystery Gang fun to sanity-shattering, universe-threatening horror. The characters are simple but it's well written and has a lot of fun, natural-sounding dialog. Worth reading.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Dan Simmons' "Summer of Night"
Summer of Night was an ideal inspiration for my fledgeling KFP web comic because it's all about the adventures of a group of 12 year old friends in the summer of 1960 as they face untold horror. It is very much a "Boys' Own Adventure" book, writ for adults, where brave kids face off hideous evil with holy water-filled waterguns and crazy plans.
The story is simple -

It’s the summer of 1960 and in the small town of Elm Haven, Illinois, five twelve-year-old boys are forging the powerful bonds that a lifetime of change will not break. From sunset bike rides to shaded hiding places in the woods, the boys’ days are marked by all of the secrets and silences of an idyllic middle-childhood. But amid the sundrenched cornfields their loyalty will be pitilessly tested. When a long-silent bell peals in the middle of the night, the townsfolk know it marks the end of their carefree days. From the depths of the Old Central School, a hulking fortress tinged with the mahogany scent of coffins, an invisible evil is rising. Strange and horrifying events begin to overtake everyday life, spreading terror through the once idyllic town. Determined to exorcize this ancient plague, Mike, Duane, Dale, Harlen, and Kevin must wage a war of blood—against an arcane abomination who owns the night..
It really is every kid's nightmare - To be haunted by your own malevolent school! Old Central is a hulking Hill House of a central character, built generations ago and sized for the town growth that never came, now only partly used by a small town's schoolchildren. It dominates the book and its presence reaches out to all the kids, haunting them in their own bedrooms with childhood fears - Yes, there IS something under the bed and in the closet. It's a lot of fun. It will also bring back vivid flashbacks of what it was like to sit in class on that final day before summer vacation, staring at the clock, waiting for the school year to be over. No more assignments, no more tests, and your teacher had given up and just had everyone sit and read or talk till the last bell rang.
The reviews of this are loaded with comparisons to Stephen King's It, and they're somewhat well founded simply because both books detail the battles of school kids against terrifying evils, but it's not a rehash. Where It bounced back and forth from childhood flashbacks to adult life and employed the theme of adult regret... Lost promise, lost dreams, lost potential, Summer of Night plays out entirely with the kids. It's a much more direct, "Heroes vs Bad Thing" story. I felt It was the better of the two books - It's one of the few novels that's ever really moved me to tears, after all, but Summer of Night is still a joyous romp that I'd recommend to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.