PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I just bought this Comoy's Criterion because it was only 20 bucks and I find the shape amusing. I assume it's kind of a one-off shape since there's no number. I can't find anything about the Criterion line except a few photos. The stamping is later, but I'm holding out hope that the "C" is the pre-Cadogan three-part one (can't really tell from the seller's photo). I gather that Criterion was a sort of catch-all line for various partially blasted "whimsical" shapes, but I'm curious to know more if anyone is familiar with it.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I looked through an estate collection of Comoys (that I’ll be selling) and found a single ‘Criterion’. Appears to be the little 3 piece C, but I defer to the real Comoy experts.

Apologies for the background, I’ve been recording tobacco sales in that notebook.

Reactions: trubka2

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
what’s that you say? My money seems to be fading out of my wallet.

If you’re interested I can certainly take additional pictures and provide some specs :)

I meant to include this angle:

Many of the Comoys in the pipe estate I’m dealing with are in very good shape.

On this particular pipe, you can see some over sanding that’s been done to the underside of the stem, less so on the top. No doubt a removal of oxidation in its past. There’s essentially no chatter but the stem just behind the button could stand a little cleaning.

The bowl has a very thin layer of cake.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
And if that Comoy’s Criterion isn’t “the one” just wait... there are around 100 Comoys alone in the estate. Probably over three hundred pipes total. I volunteered to clean ‘em up and see if I could sell them all.

I needed a project/hobby besides shooting pool and this is certainly fitting the bill.

Reactions: tg51

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
And if that Comoy’s Criterion isn’t “the one” just wait... there are around 100 Comoys alone in the estate. Probably over three hundred pipes total. I volunteered to clean ‘em up and see if I could sell them all.

I needed a project/hobby besides shooting pool and this is certainly fitting the bill.
The lightening of my wallet was more in reference to the Comoy collection as a whole. While the above pipe is certainly a nice pipe it is not suited to my particular tastes.

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.