PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My entire life, 65 years, I remember there always being a handcrafted wooden tool chest full of old tools under my father's workbench. When my father passed about twenty years ago, I became the new owner of this wooden box of old tools. Today, I found this item in the box.

IMG_20240228_164554.jpg
IMG_20240228_164632.jpg
The handle is wood and the 'legs' swing in and out. I think it's an antique auto battery carrier.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I think you're exactly right, it is a battery carrier. The ones I grew up with in the 60s had a plastic or fiber strap that was a fixed to the metal pieces that went over the battery terminals. When you lifted the strap or the wooden handle it causes the metal pieces to bite into the battery terminal and you can lift it easily without it slipping.

I grew up working in a service stations, garages and parts houses and they were very pretty much everywhere somebody had to life or move batteries. To answer someone's earlier question, most of the 6 volt and 12 volt batteries I saw had the post on the top of the battery. I don't remember the first time I saw a side post on a battery, but I think it was in the 1970s.

Effective and functional old tool, with some family connection. Very cool!

Reactions: scloyd