PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
"Hot tea" has been my regular drink for a couple of decades. Iced tea is not at all common where I live. I drink only loose leaf, typically puer, oolongs and greens. Always unsweetened.
I use gaiwans (they are basically just cups with lids). I steep the tea in the other and use another as a cup, like this:
RIFKluI.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
I drink Earl Grey twice a day, in a 500ml mug (still just one tea bag though). Sometimes it's all I drink in a day.
I must give a warning about sugar in tea, over a three year period my mother pretty much melted her teeth off. They literally shrank to about half size, not cool.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I love tea. Earl grey is the favourite, but its quality varies with the manufacturer. Also, I like a good strong malty variety. Black and green I quite like, but they are rarities in my repertoire! Not so fond of fruity or herbal teas,though. Lately, I've been buying loose tea much more and enjoying that. On average, two cups a day, with about for coffees a day! I find tea goes well with sandwiches, funnily enough. Being an Englishman, tea is part of the upbringing and my parents both drank copious amounts brewed to a deep, rich colour and strength, what is affectionately called over here 'dockers' tea'! A relative even just used to place a full spoon of loose tea in a cup and pour in the boiling water. Phenomenal strength there and always lots of bits of tea floating around! I prefer it in a china cup, (the taste is actually different as such) but usually a mug will do. No sugar at all. I gave up that particular vice when I was eight years old! When I was a teacher, I used to make tea for my older pupils (smaller size groups!). They couldn't have enough of it and it certainly helped in the classroom ambience and atmosphere. I'm glad to say that Tea is still a favourite British brew.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I do most of my shopping at Upton Tea, a company located outside the Boston area
Oh, the irony!
I used to drink coffee from morning till night. I can't handle that anymore, so, after the a.m.'s two coffee measure's worth of brewed colombian...I switch to either tea or ice water. Sometimes I'll sweeten the tea, sometimes not. I boil up a pan of water and then put in a cheap orange pekoe along with something with added flavor, usually a version of Chai, or constant comment or something fruity. I am searching for local availability of a blackberry tea with black tea leaves my sister served me on my last visit. I think it's a Bigelow product.

I have several kinds of bagged tea. Greens, herbals, medicinals. Wonderful stuff that tea.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I love all varieties of tea, but my go to favorite is aged green tea. A co-worker picked up a lot of 50 year old aged green tea and I am almost through it. I will have to go back to my 'normal' stash from the Republic of Tea soon.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I like Earl Greys too. I just had a cup of my favorite though- straight Lipton's with whole steeped wild bergamot (a mint). It is a powerful brew, stronger than some coffees. I would love to try some good Chinese style tea like daimyo mentioned.

Aug 14, 2012
Yes, I do. Coffee has too much caffeine and is a little rougher on the stomach. I prefer English Breakfast.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I sometimes have a cup of black tea with my pipe for the afternoon commute. I've tried different teas over the years but now I drink pretty much Lipton, Tetley, Earl Grey or generic black teas.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
This thread has inspired me to pick some up. There's a gourmet tea shop that has a vapor store in it around where I live, I'm gonna stop by there today and pick up some fine white tea.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Gyokuro is my favourite, My wife loves many of the herbal teas, so we always have lots of those on hand. I don't mind some of the herbals if I'm looking for something sweet, tart, or fruity.. I like to try mixing them as well. Loose teas are the only way to go.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Working my way through some herbal tea called Couch Grass (Dog Grass) Root.
Not much in terms of flavor but with lemon and honey makes a nice "cleanser".

I grew up on sweet iced tea with a handful of mint in the mix. But, I've been trying some of the hot teas. I am just getting into it at my daughter's urging. I have no idea what any of it is called. She brings me a cup, and I drink it or throw it away when she can't see me, pending my taste buds' reaction. Some I like very much, but there's not much of a hot tea culture down here.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
As an Englishman with Irish parents, I can't function without tea. The kettle is constantly on in our house. I drink Assam loose leaf in the morning, Darjeeling loose in the afternoon. Both go wonderfully with a bowl of tobacco. Never really been able to get on with Chinese tea - although I'm sure it's lovely for those who like it - and never had iced tea. There are occasional attempts to get the latter off the ground in the UK, but none successful to my knowledge.

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I started getting more into hot tea a few years ago.

Went from box super market tea to loose stuff and the amount of great loose tea is very great.

Right now I am going through Russian Caravan, Assam Estate, Rooiboos Chai, and Pu-Erh Organic 2nd Grade.

This is a nice variety that I can enjoy day or evening.
I still can enjoy Celestial, Stash, and all other bagged tea but I find myself reaching for the loose stuff more often.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
I am a Pu-Erh tea drinker. Love using a Gaiwan and taking my time. things have changed for me recently being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis so I had to slow down and enjoy things at a much more comfortable pace. Pipe smoking and green tea seem to fit that bill nicely.
Billy

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
BTW, I have some Pu-Erh cellared and would be willing to share or trade some if anyone wants to try what I have. I can get a list together tonight. PM me if your interested.
Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.