PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
My wife and kids are Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) trained; and help out with local teams during natural disasters. They have been wanting me to get involved; but until recently I have not had the time for training. I plan on starting soon so we can serve together. One of the things that interest me is communicating with the base operations while deployed. They use ham radios to do this.
I have just ordered a portable ham radio and started studying for the technician test. I figured since I got an invitation to join AARP in my mailbox...
Anyone here into ham radio? Any tips and pointers would be great!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I found a test site for next weekend so study study study!
I would like to learn more about it if any of you are into amateur radio.

I have a cousin who is into HAM, but I have no idea what this is. Can you listen to HAM operators on the radio, like AM or something? Or is it something that only other HAM operators can listen and participate in? Is it like CB's but bigger? What are the advantages over just having a smartphone and cellular data?

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Ham operates on different frequencies than what a standard radio can pick up. I think you can listen over a scanner, not certain, but I believe so. During an event cell towers may be lost. If power is down the tower will last for 24 hours on reserve battery. With these two scenarios your smart phone would be useless. Also, cell coverage is sometimes turned off at the event area to not overload the system.
With the use of repeaters, you could talk around the world, with the proper license and equipment. That would be fun I guess.
That about exhausts my knowledge base on the subject lol...

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Nerdy kids (and sometimes their nerdy dads) were into ham radio when I was a kid. To get a license they had to first learn morse code and pass a test using a telegraph key. Then they could study for an advanced license that let them use a 2-way mic. Don't know if that's still the requirement. I didn't know ham even still existed. It thought it died out when CB came in, which didn't need morse code or a license. I'm not sure if ham and shortwave are the same thing or not, it's been so long since I even heard the terms.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Morse code is no longer required; and there are 3 levels of licensing and corresponding benefits/abilities. Here is a decent video explanation:
Ham Radio Basics

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
And it seems that there are less nerds than zombie apocalypse preppers involved now.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
A HAM operator in 1950 was able to notify my grandparents in Long Beach, California that their son had not been been KIA in the Korean War as had been reported to them. He was able to get word to them that he had been airlifted to a hospital in Japan and would be okay. They always wanted to get the name of the operator to thank him but were never able to do so. He was somewhere in North Hollywood. That guy is CQing somewhere in heaven now, I imagine.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
That is a great story, tuold! I bet they were so happy to receive that news.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Randelli: Best of luck with getting your license. Your best bet for tips and pointers is to get yourself hooked up with a local radio club and RACES group, if you've not already done so. I've been licensed continuously since 1969 and I remain active on HF. You can see my ham radio bio on qrz.com.

WA2MER

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Wanted to do this when I was a kid, never had a chance to try it though. Best of luck on your tests! Keep us updated, I'm interested in hearing how things go.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for the tip. I plan on joining the local club in my area. I can ask them about RACES. I will be testing with a nearby club on Saturday so between the two clubs I can get a lot of good advice.
Hey, here is a truncation of formulas from T5, that helped me. As resistance is divided; power is multiplied. There is some truth there if you ponder on that for a while.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
I have been studying off and on for the tech class license. I don't really have anyone to talk to about it and I end up letting it drop by the wayside. I have a few weeks before the next testing session. I best get busy.
Also, there are some great study apps on ios and android for folks to use for taking the tests. Some are free others you have to pay for.
As for frequency's, most scanners will not pick up HAM frequency's. Most communication is done via repeaters, which are basically like cell towers owned and operated by amateur radio operators. You connect to the repeater frequency which allows you to contact other ham radio operators at a greater distance than you normally would have been able with just your basic antenna.
It's a fun hobby. Would be cool to make contact with some of you.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Working through the question pool on www.HamStudy.org with 5 more segments to completed today. I am getting to 97%, partially because it is good enough to pass, but mostly because it seems to take 20 minutes to get from 95% to 97% - and you are answering the same questions over and over again.
After today I should be able to spend an hour each night reviewing a taking practice tests. Pretty sure I have this down.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Got my radio today and spent some time programming through the computer. Either no one is on, or I screwed up somehow, but all I can get is the weather station...
I met a few guys at CERT dinner last night that may be able to help.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
My grandmother and grandfather were hammies, my mother, father, and older brother are hammies. I am not but I still know all their call signs by heart. I was dragged to countless ham radio flea markets and other get-togethers as a kid, and when visiting the grandparents would listen in on Gram running the Net(?) for a couple hours on weekend mornings. People would call in and give an update on their week. I think they were called Nets. Honestly it was kind of like this forum. Driving in the car with the parents, I'd hear many familiar voices chatting it up on the mobile radio; I still remember many of the call signs and names. My parents and brother have rooms full of vintage equipment. I have a lot of fond memories of ham radio. Interesting that morse code is not required; I would hear "dits" and "dahs" going all day long as a kid.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I scored a 34/35 on my technician's test so I am now an official amatuer radio operator! I scored a 20/35 on my general test - not bad for not even studying for it. I needed a 26 to pass so I will study to level up.
They say I should be listed on the FCC site in 3-4 weeks and can press the mic after that. Until then I will just listen and learn how people talk on the darn things. I am breaking out my CW McCall 8-track to brush up on the lingo...
41JQ73K19ZL.jpg

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Congratulations! A word of advice though: learn the "lingo" by listening on the ham bands. Do not use any of C.W.'s lingo unless you want to be an overnight sensation (and I don't mean in a good way). I'm sure you were joking, right?
Welcome to the world of the socially and hygienically challenged (you'll understand once you attend your first hamfest).
Jim

WA2MER

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Thanks Jim!
I was kidding about the CB lingo. Still, would be funny, "How boutcha wah-two-mer, you gotcher ears on good buddy?". My experience ranges from the flowery CB's from the 70's on the left, to the staccato police band scanner on the right, two extremes. I am hoping that ham pushes closer to the left.
Funny story- I went to radio club to take my test; and had to sit through the entire meeting before hand. They followed the rules of order with minutes, treasurers report, old and new business, motion to adjourn, etc. They are retired military, farmers, scouts, businessmen, a good mix; and they were super friendly.
I also had to sit through a presentation on D-Star. Fascinating! So the instructor reached out and asked for a radio check from somewhere outside the US. He gets an immediate reply from a guy in Belfast, Northern Ireland. He talked funny.
Someone said "He's drunk, haha"

"No, he is from Ireland"

"Yeah, it's only 5 am there...."

"OK, he's drunk, haha"

Status
Not open for further replies.