PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
You ran that with croc pots? How long does it take to cure and how many croc pots etc?
How many crocks depends on space, insulation, and other environmental stuff. I had two crocks in it till I started color curing red Virginias, and it was starting to get colder, so I had to add another crock pot. You would just have to test whatever space you set up for temp and humidity.

Also, if you decide to grow Virginias, depending on where you are, you might get two crops. SC is very similar to Alabama, in that we don't get a freeze till later in the year... I think, pending where at in SC.
But, you probably won't want to smoke anything above the secco line, so instead of fussing over keeping suckers cut and topped, after you get the first 6 leaves cut, you can just pull the plants and replant in another crop of them. I got three crops that last year I did this.

Above the secco, it gets harsh on your throat and has a very high nicotine content. In a burley this is fine, but in a Virginia, it just tastes nasty in a pipe, IMO. Cigarette guys might like it though. One year, I cured them in a stacked barrel smoker I made, to get a fire cured Virginia. I really liked it, but I now have so many pounds of fire cured Virginia cellared, that I probably won't do that again for a while. The smoking process seems to offset that harshness and high nic hit.

YMMV

Reactions: Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
How many crocks depends on space, insulation, and other environmental stuff. I had two crocks in it till I started color curing red Virginias, and it was starting to get colder, so I had to add another crock pot. You would just have to test whatever space you set up for temp and humidity.

Also, if you decide to grow Virginias, depending on where you are, you might get two crops. SC is very similar to Alabama, in that we don't get a freeze till later in the year... I think, pending where at in SC.
But, you probably won't want to smoke anything above the secco line, so instead of fussing over keeping suckers cut and topped, after you get the first 6 leaves cut, you can just pull the plants and replant in another crop of them. I got three crops that last year I did this.

Above the secco, it gets harsh on your throat and has a very high nicotine content. In a burley this is fine, but in a Virginia, it just tastes nasty in a pipe, IMO. Cigarette guys might like it though. One year, I cured them in a stacked barrel smoker I made, to get a fire cured Virginia. I really liked it, but I now have so many pounds of fire cured Virginia cellared, that I probably won't do that again for a while. The smoking process seems to offset that harshness and high nic hit.

YMMV
I'm thinking about maybe buying a old drink machine or a pellet smoaker, something like that.
I like the crock pot idea a lot. I can weld so I might just build a cabinet of some sort.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I'm thinking about maybe buying a old drink machine or a pellet smoaker, something like that.
I like the crock pot idea a lot. I can weld so I might just build a cabinet of some sort.
Post pictures. I love seeing how others do this. Plus, the more people we get to hobby grow tobacco, the safe we all are from any future outright bans. When I think about the impending tobaccolypse, I think about guys selling their own leaf or twists at farmers markets and produce stands and such. Back the way it was before corporations killed the small farm blends... back when our Great Great Great Grandfathers could just go to the General Store and buy some twists made by the guy down the road.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Post pictures. I love seeing how others do this. Plus, the more people we get to hobby grow tobacco, the safe we all are from any future outright bans. When I think about the impending tobaccolypse, I think about guys selling their own leaf or twists at farmers markets and produce stands and such. Back the way it was before corporations killed the small farm blends... back when our Great Great Great Grandfathers could just go to the General Store and buy some twists made by the guy down the road.
Okay, when I get around to it I will try to learn how to post pics. I enjoy viewing that type thread myself. I am not good at technology though so will be a learning curve on posting the pics even!

Here are the seeds I ordered fwiw:
1. Orinoco
2.Yellow Orinoco
3. Tennessee Red Leaf
4. Basma
5. Tree Tobbacco- just wanted to see how tall this one will grow. I'm hoping the others will make some tobacco I will like.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Okay, when I get around to it I will try to learn how to post pics. I enjoy viewing that type thread myself. I am not good at technology though so will be a learning curve on posting the pics even!

Here are the seeds I ordered fwiw:
1. Orinoco
2.Yellow Orinoco
3. Tennessee Red Leaf
4. Basma
5. Tree Tobbacco- just wanted to see how tall this one will grow. I'm hoping the others will make some tobacco I will like.
I have been wanting to grow Orinoco for a few years, but not having any idea how it tastes and whether it would flu cure well, I have never opened the seed packet. I will be watching to see if you post what it tastes like.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I have been wanting to grow Orinoco for a few years, but not having any idea how it tastes and whether it would flu cure well, I have never opened the seed packet. I will be watching to see if you post what it tastes like.
I have no idea either, the whole thing will be new to me. I am hoping it is very close to Virginia. Maybe I should order some Virginia seed too.
Anyway if I get some and can get it to be smokable I will send you some to try.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
My seeds arrived today. They are tiny!

I have a lot to try to learn between now and March if I hope to make this happen.

I need a "Growing Tobacco For Dummies"...

Cotton1

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Good luck. ?

As an experiment I grew around 20 burley plants several years ago after my fishing buddy here gave me some seed. He grows them to make pesticide from the leaves. Anyway, they grew like crazy and gave spectacular sized leaves. I just hung the stalks inside a ventilated garage and left them for many months and they turned a lovely dark brown colour. Years later and they still taste odd when smoked.
I suspect the variety was to blame rather than me making a pigs ear of it. Keep meaning to buy some recognised seed varieties especially Virginia as I'd like to press it and make some flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.