PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I am thinking about growing my own here on my farm just in case.

I have never attempted and am clueless.

I'm seasoned at planting and nurturing crops for decades but never tried tobacco.

If anyone does and can suggest anything like seeding times/transplant times I would appreciate it.

Also not sure about where to procure seed. Variety and post harvest are also of concern.

I am most fond of aero and Cavendish fwiw.

TIA,

Cotton1

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I found this site for seeds: Northwood Seeds Providing organically grown seed for home gardeners - http://www.northwoodseeds.com/Seed%20List2.htm
I'll be trying some of those out next year.

This year I grew:
-virginia gold
-canadian virginia
-burley
-monte calme brun
-rustica

In the process of kilning the leaf right now. I grew about 60 plants.

I would suggest growing something that's meant to whole stalk air dry such as a burley. Virginia gold was also easy to whole stalk air dry too. the canadian virginia is meant for flue curing so it was a little trickier to dry correctly, but it can be done. It will just make things a bit easier for your first time growing if you choose varieties that easily air cure.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I found this site for seeds: Northwood Seeds Providing organically grown seed for home gardeners - http://www.northwoodseeds.com/Seed%20List2.htm
I'll be trying some of those out next year.

This year I grew:
-virginia gold
-canadian virginia
-burley
-monte calme brun
-rustica

In the process of kilning the leaf right now. I grew about 60 plants.

I would suggest growing something that's meant to whole stalk air dry such as a burley. Virginia gold was also easy to whole stalk air dry too. the canadian virginia is meant for flue curing so it was a little trickier to dry correctly, but it can be done. It will just make things a bit easier for your first time growing if you choose varieties that easily air cure.
I pulled the trigger on some seeds this morning. I have been trying to find a cold smoker cabinet to cure some pork belly in anyway and am wondering if something like that would work for curing tobacco?

Much, much, much to learn but will be a interesting journey.

I don't remember the variety I ordered off the top of my head. Will have to check the invoice but it was a few types of heirloom Virginias and some Burley.

I think I would like to make some Cavendish too.

Are you air drying your whole crop?

I must have missed this thread.
I've had a crop every year for a while, except this year. Cosmic Crop 2018 :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/cosmic-crop-2018.62694/ But, for some reason the pictures no longer load in that thread.

I built a small flu for curing. Anything works really, and I've even seen some built from just insulation sheeting, old refrigerators, etc....
Mine is merely a small shed like cabinet with three crock pots in the bottom for heat and moisture. I'll try to remember to post the pictures when I get back home.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I must have missed this thread.
I've had a crop every year for a while, except this year. Cosmic Crop 2018 :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/cosmic-crop-2018.62694/ But, for some reason the pictures no longer load in that thread.

I built a small flu for curing. Anything works really, and I've even seen some built from just insulation sheeting, old refrigerators, etc....
Mine is merely a small shed like cabinet with three crock pots in the bottom for heat and moisture. I'll try to remember to post the pictures when I get back home.
Sounds great! I'm going to check the thread out too, thanks!

Yeah, somehow the links are not working. I tried to copy paste the link, no success. The only way is to open the picture, download it and upload it again.
Some of them are working now. Are you fixing them for me, Javan?
It's kind of weird how they work that way, by clicking to load them in a new tab. It must have been something in the updated version of the site.

Ok, so the two pics I was looking for...
Here is the shed...
1605211675450.png
I really need to move it. Mrs. Cosmic wants me to extend the deck out, and it's in the way. I DO NOT look forward to that. I may have to get a front-end loader to help me. It's pretty heavy. I also need to paint it. The wood is starting to age.

1605211796356.png
Heat and humidity from one source, crock pots. I had this temp and humidity control unit set up, but it's worthless when the only control for the crock pots is off/on. I now just use a cordless indoor weather thingy, like...
1605211934097.png
They have some now that will report to your iPhone, which is great for letting me know when to run out and shut the pots off.

Flu curing gets a little technical. There's no easy answer to any questions you may have. But, if you get a grasp of the concept, you can use something like this to flu cure or color cure. I have to keep checking my notes each year to refresh my memory.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Here is the shed...
View attachment 50942
I really need to move it. Mrs. Cosmic wants me to extend the deck out, and it's in the way. I DO NOT look forward to that. I may have to get a front-end loader to help me. It's pretty heavy. I also need to paint it. The wood is starting to age.

View attachment 50943
Heat and humidity from one source, crock pots. I had this temp and humidity control unit set up, but it's worthless when the only control for the crock pots is off/on. I now just use a cordless indoor weather thingy, like...
View attachment 50955
They have some now that will report to your iPhone, which is great for letting me know when to run out and shut the pots off.

Flu curing gets a little technical. There's no easy answer to any questions you may have. But, if you get a grasp of the concept, you can use something like this to flu cure or color cure. I have to keep checking my notes each year to refresh my memory.
You ran that with croc pots? How long does it take to cure and how many croc pots etc?

Reactions: bnichols23

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Here is the shed...
View attachment 50942

View attachment 50943
View attachment 50955

Thank you for sharing this! I guess it's about time for me to jump down this rabbit hole.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Cosmic was kind enough to provide a generous sample of a couple of his home grown blends. Quite nice, it would sell if he tinned it up and put it on the shelf. We're I able to match his efforts and could only smoke my own, I wouldn't suffer.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I have two seasons of growing a variety of seed types under my belt now. The growing is pretty easy if you've ever gardened before (which I had not, and still did ok). The only challenge while they're in the ground is keeping after suckers.

Curing and then fermenting/kilning is less well understood at the hobby level, but there's a lot of good info and helpful folks at fair trade.

Honestly, for me the hardest part has been untangling the very knotty thread connecting growers, brokers, and blenders. These are each ancient trades and completely siloed with their own terms and technology. If all you know of tobacco is from the copy on a store-bought tin, you will be very confused when you look in a seed catalog. At least I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.