Any Good Books On Modern Pipe Tobacco Production?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have some older (late 1800s) texts about tobacco production which are very interesting but I'm looking for something more modern.

I think it would be interesting to see the comparison between the two and see what has/has not changed over time.

It doesn't have to be the definitive volume on the subject or cover modern topics such as plant DNA although some terrior discussion would be nice.

Also it would be really nice to find a text that explains/shows how leaves from the same plant can go on to become red, yellow, orange, etc. VA.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
For the color and grading stuff, you can start with the USDA guide for flue cured tobaccos. For a more process oriented view of the same, read anything from University of North Carolina that comes up in a search.

Sorry I don't have the links in my phone.

I haven't found much about pipe tobacco specifically. You're talking about a niche within a niche within a thimble to the tobacco industry. The 2 or 3 "grow your own" books or ebooks I've read only kind of mention stuff like stoving, toasting cavendishing, casing, hot/cold pressing, etc. Nothing that even comes close to tutorial or methodological history.

Reactions: shanez

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I have some older (late 1800s) texts about tobacco production which are very interesting but I'm looking for something more modern.

I think it would be interesting to see the comparison between the two and see what has/has not changed over time.

It doesn't have to be the definitive volume on the subject or cover modern topics such as plant DNA although some terrior discussion would be nice.

Also it would be really nice to find a text that explains/shows how leaves from the same plant can go on to become red, yellow, orange, etc. VA.
I don’t have such an academic interest in tobacco, but you may find something of interest in Carl Ehwa’s popularly written The Book of Pipes and Tobacco. (For any forum members who don’t recognize Ehwa’s name, he and his wife Mary started a little tobacco company known as McClelland.)

Also, you may want to check out a thread I started today in this section about my modest pipe/tobacco library. While I don’t own any books in line with what you really want, a lot of other books are being mentioned by other members; you might just see something that would be exactly what you’re looking for.

Attachments

• 4434EBB8-3AFA-4FC2-9C2D-3A8C1E90E123.jpeg
    4434EBB8-3AFA-4FC2-9C2D-3A8C1E90E123.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 10
  • D7885D4D-F53E-4F86-811B-86115DEF2084.jpeg
    D7885D4D-F53E-4F86-811B-86115DEF2084.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 8CB8472D-B069-40FC-9A17-8771B6C22EE6.jpeg
    8CB8472D-B069-40FC-9A17-8771B6C22EE6.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 10

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
@rmbittner - Your referenced post is what prompted me to start this thread.

@chilllucky - I've been reading lots of stuff on various university websites for some time now but it's mostly a lot of agricultural and/or government regulation information. I'm thinking of sending an email about some tobacco varieties (the tables remind me of corn variety information from where I grew up in Nebraska) to the author of many of the University of North Carolina articles and seeing if I get a response.

I did find this section of the NC State Extension - 2021 Flue Cured Tobacco Information Guide very interesting and informative:

"Curing Phases

Typically the curing schedule is divided into three phases defined as yellowing, leaf drying, and stem drying. The actual curing schedule used will deviate due to factors such as tobacco ripeness and maturity, weather conditions during the growing and harvest seasons, airflow, and other influences. Tobacco harvested from different fields on the same farm may cure differently when exposed to the same curing environment. Use a temperature schedule based on your curing experience and the tobacco’s response to the curing environment. Growers have control of the dry-bulb temperature, relative humidity, and time variation of both during the curing process.

Yellowing involves a delicate balance between maintaining a high relative humidity and removing as much moisture as possible without excessive drying. A freshly harvested mature tobacco leaf is approximately 80% to 90% moisture content (wet-basis) and 10% to 20% solids. The moisture content is highest with lower-stalk tobacco and decreases with stalk position. The leaf is alive and metabolically active during yellowing and the biochemical processes continue until terminated by high temperatures or desiccation. The goal is twofold: to allow completion of the biological and physiological processes occurring in the leaf and to avoid overdrying or setting the color green. As sufficient moisture is removed during yellowing, the drying and leaf wilting will also help to improve airflow through the tobacco. The rate and extent of the biochemical reactions are controlled by temperature and moisture. Starch conversion to sugars and the chlorophyll breakdown are independent processes, but occur simultaneously and at about the same rate. As a result, optimum sugar accumulation will occur when most of the chlorophyll has degraded and the yellow pigment becomes visible, which is a visual indicator for growers to assist them with when to make changes during the curing process.

As curing progresses, the difference between the dry-bulb and wet-bulb temperatures increases, and the relative humidity decreases. When air is heated without changing the moisture content, both the dry-bulb and wet-bulb temperatures will increase. The dry-bulb temperature will increase more than the wet-bulb temperature, thus decreasing the relative humidity. The maximum dry-bulb temperature advance rate recommended is 2°F per hour during leaf drying and no more than 3°F per hour during stem drying. This gradual increase allows sufficient time for the moisture removal to keep up with the temperature increase, therefore minimizing the possibility of leaf scalding.

As long as the leaf retains sufficient moisture, the wet-bulb temperature and leaf temperature are approximately the same. If the leaf temperature exceeds approximately 113°F, the cells die, which produces browning or scalding. This is a result of too high a wet-bulb temperature and a slow drying rate. Therefore, after yellowing, the wet-bulb temperature should never exceed 105°F until the leaf lamina is completely dry. Once the leaf is dry enough to advance the dry-bulb temperature above 135°F, maintaining a wet-bulb temperature of 110°F will reduce fuel consumption. Many growers rely on experience to manage ventilation, but accurate control and minimizing fuel consumption requires monitoring the relative humidity.

Curing experience as well as knowledge of curing principles are needed to produce consistent high quality cures. Poor leaf quality is not improved during curing, even with ideal curing conditions and lots of curing experience, but the final quality of very good and poor quality leaf loaded in the barn can be significantly reduced with improper curing conditions. The potential quality of the cured leaf is determined in the field and as a result, the first step is to start with uniformly ripe tobacco. This tobacco requires less time curing and yellows more uniformly during curing. Even growers with a lot of curing experience can have curing-related issues when there are extreme fluctuations in the weather conditions, typically over a short period of time, during the season that significantly stresses the plant. This has been the case for many locations in recent years. As a result, many questions are generated on how to change the curing schedule to maximize leaf quality. This is complicated even more when your tobacco contracting entity wants a particular cured leaf style or color. Unfortunately, there is not a simple answer. Detailed curing guidelines from a late-‘70s Powell Manufacturing bulk barn operating manual are posted on the Tobacco Growers Information Portal (https://tobacco.ces.ncsu.edu/). The manual includes discussions of typical dry- and wet-bulb temperature schedules, suggested adjustments for both that are potentially required for multiple kinds of tobacco (lower-stalk, normal, over-ripe, heavily fertilized), and various conditions encountered during curing. A general guideline is to slow down the processes of yellowing and leaf drying for tobacco that is grown under stressed conditions. The tobacco will not release moisture easily and as a result, drying too fast will negatively affect the cured leaf quality."

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Yes, this is good information about the flue curing process, but that's common to both cigarette and pipe tobacco.

If you want that info presented a little closer to garden scale, look for their publications from the 1950's, before a lot of mechanization entered the picture.

If I understood your original question though, you would like more information on the processing techniques and technologies to turn cured tobaccos into pipe tobacco blends or their components. Stoving, casing, pressing, etc. That's what I haven't seen much of. It's a book pretty much only Per Jenson, Mike McNeil, Sutliff guy, or Jeremy Reeves could write if you wanted to start the story from whole leaf.

There are more folks available who could discuss blending and finishing already partially processed constituent tobaccos. John David Cole, Ernie, folks like that.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I have not found a book on this subject (I’d love to find one too) but I have found some good basic information in c&d’s videos, which are easy to see on line. For instance, their vid on white and dark burley taught me a lot about my favorite pipe tobacco. They have many others

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
If I understood your original question though, you would like more information on the processing techniques and technologies to turn cured tobaccos into pipe tobacco blends or their components.
Yes, primarily this although I am interested in all aspects to some degree. Historically I'm very curious to know if John Rolfe replaced rustica (or some other species of Nicotiana) with tabacum seeds for his crop. When I get into the agricultural side I get very nerdy and end up down some terrior/genetics rabbit hole which should be a book in its own right.

I am working towards creating a list of major steps, at least to my mind, in the whole story of creating pipe tobacco. First would be selection of cultivar, second would be curing process, then I start to run into a dead end on "true" processing. This could easily then be followed with casings, toppings, cuts, blending, and perhaps aging.

Each "step" requires a certain amount of knowledge and skill to produce quality. Now I at least think I understand certain producers lamenting the lack of quality aspects they want for their products.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
You might find some helpful books/publications in Ben Rapaport's bibliography. There's a link to it in the Introduction to the Books/Publications page on Pipedia. The link is also in the Ben Rapaport page on Pipedia along with links to several articles that Ben has written (I had to search Rapaport to find the link to that page).

Reactions: shanez

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Of the scant handful of books (as opposed to articles on the web) I've read on the subject of pipes and tobacco, I would point you to "Making Tobacco Bright" by Barbara Hahn.

It's an exhaustive, college-level read on the history of tobacco as a commodity. There's lots of info on the forms the leaf took from colonization to WW1. The citations alone would be worth your time if you really mean to track specifically pipe tobacco from Walter Raleigh to Mike McNeil.

Reactions: shanez and Egg Shen

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Of the scant handful of books (as opposed to articles on the web) I've read on the subject of pipes and tobacco, I would point you to "Making Tobacco Bright" by Barbara Hahn.

It's an exhaustive, college-level read on the history of tobacco as a commodity. There's lots of info on the forms the leaf took from colonization to WW1. The citations alone would be worth your time if you really mean to track specifically pipe tobacco from Walter Raleigh to Mike McNeil.
A lot of people who know a lot about growing/processing tobacco seem to have a lot of problems with some of the assumptions of this book.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I have no bibliography. Just going on my impressions from reviews of the book, asides over on the Fair Trade Tobacco forums--and, I admit, my own impression of the book.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas

Tank for the recommendation. Found it new in hardback on Amazon for $9.40 so I ordered it.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Enjoy it! It's the most academic text I've tried to read since graduating from university 23 years ago. I could only take it a few pages at a time.

I guess you should take what it says with a grain of salt, though. 1. Cos a couple of gardeners on an internet forum didn't like it. 2. More seriously (and relevant to the complaints of #1) the author isn't a farmer or tobacconist. She's an economic historian. She did not test the techniques and technologies she mentions in her book. She just cites their description from contemporary, primary sources. Those original authors may or may not have had reasons to obfuscate the details of what they were up to.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You might find some helpful books/publications in Ben Rapaport's bibliography. There's a link to it in the Introduction to the Books/Publications page on Pipedia. The link is also in the Ben Rapaport page on Pipedia along with links to several articles that Ben has written (I had to search Rapaport to find the link to that page).
I found an autographed copy of his "A Tobacco Source Book" for sale this morning and ordered it. I already have his "Collecting Antique Meerschaum" book.