PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Absinthe is available all over the place where I live (Vegas). A local restaurant has a drink called a "Trinidad Swizzle".

5 year Trinidad rum, falernum (ginger, lime, and almond syrup), pineapple and lime juices, and the glass gets a absinthe "rinse" which is some absinthe put in the glass and swirled around to coat the inside. Fantastic summer drink!

I'd drink it, but that sounds like one of those drinks I'd order out. Would need an experienced hand making that concoction. And Vegas is great. Tops my short list of places to retire. Perfect combination of crass, seedy and refined. Reminds of NYC in that way, but way better weather. Cheers.

Reactions: shanez

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I enjoy Spanish Brandy and Calvados from time to time....it can't always be Scotch.
I like the Spanish Brandy better than Cognac or Armagnac, the ones I drink are aged in used sherry casks and it seems to take the edges off. My favorites are Cardenal Mendoza and Gran Duque D'Alba, they are in the $40-50 range. As for Calvados, I like Boulard and Camut, though some friends brought some farmhouse bottled calvados back from Normandy, and it was phenomenal.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not exactly my kinda drink. Unless you count fortified wines. Last time I had brandy was at Shea Stadium back in 1982 for The Police concert. Someone started passing peach or apple brandy and everyone took a sip or two or three. Funny enough, new bottle was kept appearing. Few people fell off the balcony, but ones who didn't had fun. Joan Jett opened the show and it was a blast.

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9 and Moonbog

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Not exactly my kinda drink. Unless you count fortified wines. Last time I had brandy was at Shea Stadium back in 1982 for The Police concert. Someone started passing peach or apple brandy and everyone took a sip or two or three. Funny enough, new bottle was kept appearing. Few people fell off the balcony, but ones who didn't had fun. Joan Jett opened the show and it was a blast.
No.... Please. Not that kind of brandy. The Mr. Boston variety cough syrup we were all initiated with when we were High School Freshman? That's exactly what I was drinking in 1982. Never Again. And damn, wish I'd seen that Police concert. I certainly DO miss Shea Stadium. But Citi Field has grown on my. Adios.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
After reading this thread I went and picked up a bottle of Korbel. I can see why so many Wisconsinites swear by it. It has a grassy sugarcane top note that I believe is imparted from the Jack Daniels barrels in which it's aged, and touch of marzipan on the finish. A fantastic pairing with Orlik Golden Sliced, Hamborger Veermaster, or Sutliff Sweet VA. Impossible to beat value at $12. I'd expect to pay 3 or 4 times as much for a whisk(e)y with comparable smoothness and flavor. I also noticed my local shop had moved all of the diamond-shaped CB XO bottles over to the discontinued rack. I'll miss it, but not all that much as Raynal VSOP is the same price and much better, imho.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
After reading this thread I went and picked up a bottle of Korbel. I can see why so many Wisconsinites swear by it. It has a grassy sugarcane top note that I believe is imparted from the Jack Daniels barrels in which it's aged, and touch of marzipan on the finish. A fantastic pairing with Orlik Golden Sliced, Hamborger Veermaster, or Sutliff Sweet VA. Impossible to beat value at $12. I'd expect to pay 3 or 4 times as much for a whisk(e)y with comparable smoothness and flavor. I also noticed my local shop had moved all of the diamond-shaped CB XO bottles over to the discontinued rack. I'll miss it, but not all that much as Raynal VSOP is the same price and much better, imho.

I've seen that one at Total Wine too. Shocking how many good value Brandy there is out there. I'll work my way up the price scale and then back down til I find my sweet spot/ go to Brandy. I'm sure I'll find several.

But it's really interesting how an hour after I finish smoking my pipe I can still pick up the tin note on my palate when I take a sip of the Brandy. Nothing else I've paired with the pipe does it quite so well. It makes me appreciate the tobaccos I'm smoking even more.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Interesting, I keep E&J in my cabinet for cooking (sauces, steaks, etc.). Seems too cheap to drink but may try now.
Last time I drank brandy- I am embarrassed to say I had some Presidente in Tijuana in a brothel (I did not participate) waiting for the other guys during a bachelor party. They gave you what they gave you and I only wanted out of that place.

• Wow
Reactions: Moonbog and rushx9

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Interesting, I keep E&J in my cabinet for cooking (sauces, steaks, etc.). Seems too cheap to drink but may try now.
Last time I drank brandy- I am embarrassed to say I had some Presidente in Tijuana in a brothel (I did not participate) waiting for the other guys during a bachelor party. They gave you what they gave you and I only wanted out of that place.
I would have been right there with you feeling totally awkward too. Not being judgmental but the whole situation just isn't one I could find enjoyable or comfortable. No one has been able to drag me to a strip club ever either so...

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I would have been right there with you feeling totally awkward too. Not being judgmental but the whole situation just isn't one I could find enjoyable or comfortable. No one has been able to drag me to a strip club ever either so...
I was but a youth of around 20 those days and yes- not my party lol. Don't recall loving Presidente brandy either...

Reactions: anotherbob
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Magno.
Also,if you’re ever in Rota,Spain.there is a fish restaurant called El Pesebre,and he has 50 year old brandy.It’s his house brandy.Never asked what the brand is,if any.It goes down really smooth and WARM.

Status
Not open for further replies.