PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That flare gun is a beast. I just wish that it had been proofed...I don't know what kinds of pressure it can tolerate. It would also be nice if it was rifled. I would consider rebarreling it, but then I'd probably be manufacturing a Destructive Device. If I was going to go through that process, with a tax stamp and everything, I'd probably go larger!

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
The last time I went shooting the group in the lane next to me was shooting S&W 460 and .500 X frames. I can still feel the concussion. I shoot my .44 mag 5.5" RedHawks without any problems, but I think that is enough for me. My 1911 is my favorite, and the Redhawk is real nice. Those are big enough bore handguns for me.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I used to be, only thing I have close to it now is a sawed off side by side 12 gauge & a S&W model 19. Goes down from there, liking some of the smaller calibers lately. But you have some beauts!

If I lived elsewhere would have at least 44 mag.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Used to shoot a S&W 629 Mountain Gun, but that tiny tapered barrel didn't exactly play nice with the .44 mag bullets. My wrists hurt just thinking about that gun. Now I shoot a Remington 1911 and it's a joy. Y'all can keep your cannons. :wink:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@woodsroad. I didn't realize you were serious about that flare gun! That thing is cool!
@gphenry. The X-Frames do have some serious concussion going on, but the felt recoil is only slightly more than a small .44 Mag. It's more of a shove than anything.
@troutface. Those 629 Mountain Guns are nice! I started to buy a 386 Mountain Lite .357 Scandium frame years ago. I wish I had now.
@instymp. Nothing wrong with a sawed off 12 and a model 19! Thanks for the compliments as well.

carpart67

Lurker
Jan 21, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Does this lil fella count? .76 cal, but I mostly use it as shotgun (Almost a 10 gauge)

I as well am a firearms enthusiast. Spent a bit of time employed tinkering in a gun shop. I have a plethora of 12 gauge shotguns. Biggest handgun I've had was 44 mag, right now it's a 4.5" Bond Arms derringer chambered for 45LC or 3" 410. I'm more of a shooter than hunter so I'm drawn to unique firearms. I have a Lee Enfield/Churchill sporterized 303 rifle that has been converted to a 45acp carbine, for example.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I only have one shotgun, a Mossberg 500. BUT I have a bird barrel, field barrel, short 14" home protection barrel, and .50 caliber black powder kit. I store it within easy reach with the home defense barrel configuration.
Since I usually only fire one gun at a time, this works great for me. It only takes about 60 seconds to switch barrels. Since I clean the gun after every outing, switching back to the short barrel adds almost no time.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
@Wwoodsroad
here is a thread for you, 40 mm Chalk rounds confiscated by ATF
f) Destructive device.--The term “destructive device” means

(2) any type ofweapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to,expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels ofwhich have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgunshell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularlysuitable for sporting purposes; . . .
Section 5845(f)(3) excludes from the term “destructive device” any device which is neither designed or redesigned for use as a weapon and any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?285208-40mm-Chalk-rounds-now-ruled-as-explosive-shells
Amazing, the tiny minds that populate the government goon squads.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Not a big bore, but tried and true.

Just got a 5 shot SS Rossi .38 special.

Might get a Rem or Mossy 12ga some time soon.

carpart67

Lurker
Jan 21, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
@ petes03 - Very similar to a Bess. It's a copy of an early British sea service musket. Navy issue aprox 1715 to 1740. Came from a little shop right here in Nova Scotia that specializes in BP replicas. They actually have provided period correct props to Disney for some big films. They are just a small home business so I thought that was neat.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@carpart67.

It's very nice, and definitely has the whole Revolutionary War vibe going on.

I've came very close to buying a musket or flintlock several times, just never pulled the trigger, lol!

I've also had my eye on a .72 cal Kodiak double rifle for several years now.

Who knows, I may end up owning all three before it's all said and done.

carpart67

Lurker
Jan 21, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
petes03, you should give them a try. A little more work than smokeless but a ton of fun! Big bang, lots of fire and smoke :) . The smooth bore muskets can be used with a round ball or with a load of shot, so they are very versatile as well. If you ever decide to take the plunge and are looking for an affordable, period correct piece send me a PM (not sure if I can post a link here) and I'll forward the contact info for where I picked mine up. (Great company to deal with) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.