PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
If I thoroughly clean a pipe that was in a really bad way, I let it sit for a longer time than usual. I had two 80s Savs that smelled and tasted horrible during smoking even after the cleaning. Let them sit for a couple of months and when I picked them up again they were good to go. Sometimes it helps, but this is purely anecdotal.

The smell isn't going away completely on its own though; you should feel a difference after you smoke a pipe a couple of times yourself to get rid of it.

Reactions: BROBS
Sep 19, 2019
If any smell bothers you @xBengalSlicedx , I've had very good results with the activated charcoal method. Alcohol cleans in a more physical sense, it will strip away gunk(and stain, so be careful). If you clean a truly gunked pipe with enough alcohol, like say, repeated Salt-Alcohol treatments, you will sometimes see the inside of the draft hole turn light colored from all the gunk being leeched out. The logic here is that if you de-gunk, the odor in said gunk will go too, and this is sound, but sometimes the odor really is saturated in the wood itself, and for this problem I'd try the charcoal.

This was exceptionally helpful! I gave my pipe this treatment yesterday afternoon and it works like a dream- I was even able to enjoy a fine bowl last night!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have gotten that "tractor grease" taste from new old stock pipes as well as used pipes. It is the oxidized vulcanite inside the stem. Sure, you could smoke through it until it has caked over on the inside of the stem, but I CANNOT STAND that taste. It makes me gag, reminding me of changing the dope in a truck rear end or working with old rusty greasy tractor parts.
This is a separate issue (a puff on the strummel without the stem confirms this), but funnily enough, it was another issue I was having... I did this a couple times with the pipe in question and it contributed to my nearly tasteless pipe.

Sep 19, 2019
If all else fails:

But first I'd try a few more alcohol treatments.

This is good to keep in mind- I was not aware of such a process!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I use 91% isopropyl. I can't find 99 at any pharmacy or grocery store in my area and everclear isn't an option as I live in Pennsylvania.
you can get Everclear at the Wine and Spirit stores. Most of them don't carry it but they should be able to order it for you and yes you have to go to the store and pick it up, but it doesn't cost any extra just takes time. I've gotten some weird things they don't normally carry I've ordered Arrarack and Pisco from them before.

Sep 19, 2019
you can get Everclear at the Wine and Spirit stores. Most of them don't carry it but they should be able to order it for you and yes you have to go to the store and pick it up, but it doesn't cost any extra just takes time. I've gotten some weird things they don't normally carry I've ordered Arrarack and Pisco from them before.

Hm, I stopped in last night and they said I need a permit for it. But the arrack... that's interesting. I have a recipe for swedish punsch that always seemed like a pipe dream

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Hm, I stopped in last night and they said I need a permit for it. But the arrack... that's interesting. I have a recipe for swedish punsch that always seemed like a pipe dream
what the heck. They have it on the shelves at two of the four stores in town. If you're close enough to State College maybe take a trip there and pick up a bottle. Though personally I think over proofed rum can be nice, effective, and it adds a tiny bit of flavor for a bowl or two after wards.

Reactions: BROBS and seanv
Sep 19, 2019
what the heck. They have it on the shelves at two of the four stores in town. If you're close enough to State College maybe take a trip there and pick up a bottle. Though personally I think over proofed rum can be nice, effective, and it adds a tiny bit of flavor for a bowl or two after wards.
Is it possible you're finding the lower proof everclear (150 or something?) They do carry that, but most frequently I see 190 as the recommendation for pipe restoration

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Is it possible you're finding the lower proof everclear (150 or something?) They do carry that, but most frequently I see 190 as the recommendation for pipe restoration
nope it's the full on stuff. I do remember hearing a rumor that they didn't sell it in areas that have more alcohol problems among youngsters. No clue if that's true or not. But I was surprised when I saw the full strength just sitting on a shelf. Then again that store also has a locked case of stuff like Louis the 13th (which is a little over a thousand bucks a bottle, someday when my ship comes in I'am trying that stuff.).

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
I'm glad you asked this. I've had two pipes that had that antique store stink even after two different 48 hour sits with salt and alcohol. I had one of the two clear up after sitting for two months but one of them still stinks like old whale oil. Was thinking about cooking it in the oven with charcoal in it to see if that helps. Saw a guy on the YouTubes do that.

Reactions: lightmybriar

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Getting a pipe back to neutral takes a lot more cleaning than you might think. Even after you have scrubbed out the entire airway, with a lot of emphasis on the mortise, and the pipe cleaners are coming out clean, you're not even close. There's a fair amount of rancid oil that's soaked into the briar that's going to need to be coaxed out. Past clean, another 30 bristle pipe cleaners, left in to soak until they completely dry out and pull some of that deposit out, gets you closer. Warm water flushes and/or a boiling alcohol retort treatment usually completes the job.

Reactions: Black Forest Piper
Sep 19, 2019
I think short of a retort (which you need special equipment for) the charcoal is the best thing. The trick behind it (and the other mentioned methods) is warming it up. (Since this thread went dead I've performed this process on several pipes with great results.) The warmth opens up the briar pores and allows the scent to disperse into the odor absorbing charcoal. I recommend it as an underrated method. That is, of course, after you make sure the shank and chamber are thoroughly scrubbed out, an alcohol treatment is given, and a scent still remains.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The way I do salt treatments is not with alcohol. I do a warm water flush .. then fill it with salt while it’s still wet. Pulls out the doors and you don’t have to ruin your briar with alcohol.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
White vinegar, with some patience and work, will get rid of the musty smell and not leave an aftertaste or aroma.
that's another good option!!

my post above is supposed to say "pulls out the odors" not "pulls out the doors" haha

Status
Not open for further replies.