PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin3

Lurker
Jun 15, 2016
Hi thought your members may like to see my antique Ivory pipe . It came from an estate sale and both the bowl and stem are solid ivory and the pipe has been well used . There are no makers names on this that I can find .The pipe is 14 cm long and the bowl is 38mm tall . sorry about url but if you copy and paste into address bar then it should work . thanks

justin3

Lurker
Jun 15, 2016
Hi tuold , no there is no lining just ivory . The bowl is approx 5mm thick . It is not home made and we think it dates to the 1890 - 1910 era . The pipe has been well used and there is approx 1mm thick tobacco residue inside the bowl . I bought it as over the last 40 yrs I have never seen one and I have a small collection of odd ivory items . The dealers I bought it form got it as part of an old pipe collection at an estate sale . Thats all I know

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
ivorypipe-600x490.jpg

Saved your picture.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I wonder if smoking an ivory pipe (with no bowl lining) would have a strange cast to it, taste and smell wise... like burning horn, bone, or other organic. I also wonder if one would get thrown in a federal clink somewhere for trying. They're watching us right now... jk. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tried one once, smelled like burning hair, and tasted about as good. They are very attractive pieces though.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
That is a beautiful piece!
I wouldn't smoke it personally, but would love to have it in the collection. Even though the value would only be in the pipe as the ivory is now deemed worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.