Antique Meerschaum Depicting an Explorer Type: Who Might this Depict?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I'm looking at purchasing this pipe, a lovely antique with amber stem intact, a pre-color job mottled from heavy smoking. Case not pictured. As can be seen, it shows a man having a rather distinctive appearance! He's wearing a pith helmet, so maybe an explorer? Egyptologist? Safari guide or "white hunter"? I'm not sure. He trims his beard in an interesting manner, leaving his chin uncovered and having the beard grow under it. This has to be some specific style, maybe it has a name and/or was popular with a certain ethnicity, say, Scottish? To pin him down even more, he bears a feature I think is surely a clear identifier if anyone recognizes him: he has large, round earrings!

EIo6R5K.jpg

Does anybody here have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brian64

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm looking at purchasing this pipe, a lovely antique with amber stem intact, a pre-color job mottled from heavy smoking. Case not pictured. As can be seen, it shows a man having a rather distinctive appearance! He's wearing a pith helmet, so maybe an explorer? Egyptologist? Safari guide or "white hunter"? I'm not sure. He trims his beard in an interesting manner, leaving his chin uncovered and having the beard grow under it. This has to be some specific style, maybe it has a name and/or was popular with a certain ethnicity, say, Scottish? To pin him down even more, he bears a feature I think is surely a clear identifier if anyone recognizes him: he has large, round earrings!

EIo6R5K.jpg

Does anybody here have any ideas?
Dr. Livingstone I presume?

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Reading up, I wish it was him. I'm about to purchase a cheroot holder which has the same sort of cloth headdress he wears, so maybe that one could be him? Its case says it was made by the Fischers of NY, who were top-notch carvers.

I suppose I should mention my source, in case anyone else wants to contact him and buy antique pipes, meerschaum or otherwise. It's Ben Rapaport, and I've found him to be informative and fair. I've bought a German Regimental/Reservist "gestecktpfeife" from him, and a meerschaum of Napoleon. Already purchased is the Fischers' bedouin cheroot holder, and soon to be bought (as soon as I have the funds, in a few months) are the explorer pipe and a cheroot holder with an eagle sitting astride. He's sent me photos of many beautiful pipes for sale.

Reactions: rajangan

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Could those "earrings" be part of the strap, too? I'm not finding many photos of people wearing one with the strap in place. And yes, you're right, chasingembers. "The Explorer" was not a common 'type' (common ones included The School Ma'am or Gibson Girl, the Arab or Bedouin, the Sailor, etc.) but it's possible.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
"The Explorer" was not a common 'type' (common ones included The School Ma'am or Gibson Girl, the Arab or Bedouin, the Sailor, etc.) but it's possible.
My thoughts, too. But I don’t have a better guess other than it’s just a generic 19th century European explorer. I’m keen to see if anyone nails it down to an individual. De Brazza is an interesting proposal.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
As noted, I'm buying a cheroot holder which might be de Brazza. I'll have to look. Yes, it's possible the carver carved himself, but I'm still hoping he'll be identifiable.

Can anyone tell me about the Black Frigate I see in several sigs? Sounds vaguely like an SCA thing. Friends of mine know SCA pirates.

Status
Not open for further replies.