PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Gentlemen, I have found 3 very old pipes at a antique shop. With all your knowledge and plus what I’m finding on google, I was wondering if you can fill in that gaps. I bought a Silver Duke Dr Grabow, Tom Howard, and what I believe is a Hawthorne. The what I believe Hawthorne, because I can clearly see the thorne word just the first few letters not so clear. I love the story on Tom Howard. But, hopefully some of you can tell me more. I paid $15 for all three and I’m going to clean them up. 2E98C0AB-7BB2-4504-AE04-4018FAA53176.jpeg22F9BAF2-F42C-48D0-831C-95080D3840B5.jpegD7E01C04-40D3-468A-AA8D-06ECAE34D2D4.jpeg1EEBBB03-5277-4CD4-93C2-AB41ECD5F4E6.jpeg90123C6D-EEBE-419A-9D93-5C24CC3CEA43.jpegD215D661-9E5E-4500-AB52-7908ACFB86B3.jpeg

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I learned a lot on the forum by going to the pipe maintenance section. There are definitely some dues and don’ts to learn.
From the few pictures you posted, the pipes look like they’re in decent shape. The stems look intact and should be able to be cleaned up well. Not sure what the inside of the bowls look like?

I also gleaned quite a bit of knowledge from going to a website called
rebornpipes.com
You can read through his blog where he discusses in detail each step he takes to refurbish a pipe and the tools and supplies he uses. Be careful he also sells refurbished pipes, I bought five from him?

Have fun with this project. There is something rewarding about taking an old pipe and bringing it back to life.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I learned a lot on the forum by going to the pipe maintenance section. There are definitely some dues and don’ts to learn.
From the few pictures you posted, the pipes look like they’re in decent shape. The stems look intact and should be able to be cleaned up well. Not sure what the inside of the bowls look like?

I also gleaned quite a bit of knowledge from going to a website called
rebornpipes.com
You can read through his blog where he discusses in detail each step he takes to refurbish a pipe and the tools and supplies he uses. Be careful he also sells refurbished pipes, I bought five from him?

Have fun with this project. There is something rewarding about taking an old pipe and bringing it back to life.
I have been to his website but luckily didn’t noticed he sold them lol. I’m more looking for the historical knowledge. Thanks for the info though. I’m still learning how to operate a forum. This is the first forum that I’ve ever been on or part of. Lol. And I’m 42.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those could be some real beauties, if you can post "after" photos. I don't know how many pipes you have restored; just be careful and go easy with any reaming. Over-reaming is the quickest way to destroy a fine old pipe, if you are not experienced. It's too much fun to hew away the guts of the briar.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
There's something about that kind of rustcation (if that's the correct word) that I like. It reminds me of woodshop in school when we beat furniture with chains to add texture/dents to it.

Good job on the clean up.

Reactions: Laurent

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Great price! Antique shops around here get crazy. Spotted an old Kaywoodie and they wouldn’t let it go for less than $55. It was oxidized and had cake so thick a pencil wouldn’t fit. — I argued that if it was professionally restored it might be worth $55. It was butt ugly but I would’ve paid a more reasonable price just to play around with cleaning it up. So rare to find three pipes and for $5 each. Great find!

Reactions: scloyd

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Great price! Antique shops around here get crazy. Spotted an old Kaywoodie and they wouldn’t let it go for less than $55. It was oxidized and had cake so thick a pencil wouldn’t fit. — I argued that if it was professionally restored it might be worth $55. It was butt ugly but I would’ve paid a more reasonable price just to play around with cleaning it up. So rare to find three pipes and for $5 each. Great find!
There was 4 Kaywoodies there also but whoever smoked them, chewed the ends off. One was even their white briar line of pipes.