PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I'm a sucker for a straight virginia blend. Yep, They got me again.
I wonder how it compares to in sweetness to Carolina Red Flake?

Last edited:
Reactions: MattRVA

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I thought last year was a one time release. I grabbed 2 lbs and have really been enjoying its "evolution" over time. Not sure if I'll try this one or not. But I reckon this will be another of C&Ds annual releases and not just a one off. Small Batch releases seem to be their fortay now
I can’t see much overlap between Anthology 2022 and 2023 aside from the inclusion of the same grade of tips C&D used in Carolina Red Flake. That and the name, of course.

They could have called this Annual Virginia Heap, but I guess this is better marketing.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I can’t see much overlap between Anthology 2022 and 2023 aside from the inclusion of the same grade of tips C&D used in Carolina Red Flake. That and the name, of course.

They could have called this Annual Virginia Heap, but I guess this is better marketing.
It's just that last years drop had me under the impression that it was a one time "anniversary blend". Whereas now, I see Anthology probably being an annual release

Mar 1, 2014
Interesting they note C&D doesn't use Gum Arabic to adhere leaf into flakes, makes me wonder if this isn't related to my general problems trying to keep flake tobacco lit.
(My cellar doesn't have much flake tobacco from C&D because I assumed it would burn just as slow as flakes from other blenders. Now after hearing this C&D flakes might require some experimentation.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ThermionicScott

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Apparently I ordered four tins instead of three as I posted above. They arrived today and I was thinking why did I order four tins? I'm smoking my first bowl of the 2023 Anthology. Now I wished I had ordered more! It's a very nice Virginia, with some natural sweetness but I don't detect any casing or top note. I am halfway through the first bowl and I am enjoying the natural sweetness of the tobacco which is burning very well and staying lit. It also has a nice fine ash. As a Virginia smoker I would rate this 8 out of 10 at this point.