PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I got another of my new-year money pipes and I'm not sure it's what the seller said it is. It was listed as a Brigham but the markings have worn down to being basically unreadable. What it does have is a stem with 4 light blue dots on each side and a patent # of 1513428. There is no maple filter system in the stem either so I'm not sure what I have here. I tried looking at the stamping under magnification with light and I think I know what it is but what do you think?
1-unknown-1-600x450.jpg

1-unknown-2-600x450.jpg

1-unknown-3-600x450.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks guys. That was my suspicion but I wasn't sure because I wouldn't expect the dots to be that out of shape on the diamond in pic 1. If it is a Sasieni, that would probably make it 1927-1939 right?

Aug 1, 2012
The lettering on the shank is "PAT. No 1513428". Yes, there are 4 dots on each side of the stem and they are not painted. I can also make out some faint lettering that vaguely looks like parts of the script Sasieni a couple letters in a middle line and "DE" at the lower right of the stamp. The dates I got of of a Pipephil dating chart.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks Roth. I will be sending this off to Walker pretty soon. Detail pictures have already been filed in a couple locations.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wow, what a great score, even if it is only a 4 dot it is a great deal, but if it is truly an 8 then it could be the deal of the century. Congrats on a great find.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks again for all the encouragement and help. I finally got it under the right contrast light and magnification and made out the stamping. It goes like this.
Sasieni (script)

"Beverly"

London Made
With that, the four dots on each side of the stem, the patent number and the rustication style I believe this makes it a mid-late '30s Sasieni 8-dot.
Another question, is it supposed to have something coming out of the stem like a stinger? From the patent description, it looks like it should but there is nothing like one in the stem or shank.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dave:
I want to believe that you're right and that your new pipe really is a mid-30's eight banger, but the symmetry of those four left handed dots bothers me. I ran across this article earlier this evening and immediately thought of you. Please give it a read.
http://murderofravens.org/my-sasieni-pipe-article/
Fnord

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks fnord. I have run across that article before and it does still leave the authenticity question in my mind. I'll still send it to Dave and see what he thinks. Until then, I'm not out much if it is a fake.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
You veterans are probably already familiar with this, but I ran across this site yesterday - a guide to identifying pipe makers' marks:
http://fujipub.com/ooops/makes.html#brands
There's a whole lot of other great pipe info on this "OoOPS" (Organization of Online Pipe Smokers" web site, too!

Aug 1, 2012
That's a good link 4dot, thanks.
I got an email back from Dave Wolff, nicest and most helpful guy ever BTW, and he said it is most likely genuine. He also gave me a number for a man who is a Sasieni expert so I could get more information about it. I'm actually starting to get tentatively excited about this.
If it does still turn out to be a fake, it'll still be a great learning experience and a fun story.

Status
Not open for further replies.