PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I inserted the inner tube a bit so you can see the finished bottom."
Doubtless you already know this, but for the uninitiated the Inner Tube has been inserted backwards, as the bevel on its opposite end should align with and mirror the curvature of the bottom of the bowl. Further, the Tube should not protrude into the bowl, but be flush with its side.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
hunterrw, this is true. However, this tube was blunt on both ends. This is actually the stem end. I think someone ground off the beveled end at some point. 8O
The tube barely protrudes through into the bowl hole when inserted.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The gouges in the heel of the bowl did not look too serious. They probably would not have posed a problem for someone who, like you, knows how to treat a pipe well, but better safe than sorry. This pipe is lucky it did not fall into the hands of some yobbo.
I certainly have pipes with gouges as bad or worse, and all of them cost me more than $10. I have a very old BBB with deep gouges ringing the tobacco chamber walls. Somebody gave new meaning to "cutting the cake". Fortunately, the bowl walls are pretty thick for a pipe of that era.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
buroak, the larger of the two gouges was deep. It was at very least 3/16ths deep. Enough of a concern that it may eventually burn out. So, I filled it.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
buroak, the larger of the two gouges was deep. It was at very least 3/16ths deep. Enough of a concern that it may eventually burn out. So, I filled it.
Ah, that was worse than it looked. Filling was definitely prudent.

Status
Not open for further replies.