PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
So a while back here I had posted some pictures of how my Bekler/CAO meerschaum had just begun to color. Well, a few months later, and after steadily smoking it, it has really started to change remarkably! I figured I'd post some pictures for y'all. Any tips on getting the top part of the bowl to start coloring too?

SAM_0069-1.jpg

SAM_0070.jpg

SAM_0071.jpg

SAM_0072.jpg

SAM_0073.jpg

SAM_0074.jpg

SAM_0075.jpg

SAM_0077.jpg

SAM_0078.jpg

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
In mho combined with A swag, you are on the right track,the stem colors first and

slowly works it way up the bowl. So keep bees waxing and smoking. The rest is kust A matter of time
I too await freds input I always take his advice to heart.
btw, I like the way it is progressing.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Beautiful patination. It's not all that common to see such even coloration, what ever you're doing, you're obviously doing it right. If it continues to color as well as it has so far you're going to have a real treasure there.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, these Bekler Meerschaums can color well, as yours is doing now. As others have already mentioned, continued smoking & the use of white Beeswax will not only help the coloration, but it will provide protection for the Block's surface. What you are seeing is a 'typical progression' of color, if you can say anything is typical with these Pipes and the development of patina. The top of the bowl can be the last thing to color. In the past, this was desirable with Figurals and Pipe smokers used both plugs and buttons to help this happen.
From: An arm-chair in the smoking-room: or, Fiction, anecdote, humour, and fancy for

dreamy half-hours

Publisher: S. Rivers and Co., 1870

THE MEERSCHAUM:

HOW TO CHOOSE, SMOKE, AND COLOUR IT.

How do I manage my meerschaum ? How do I give it that depth and richness of colour in

the bowl,—colour which I can compare to nothing but the tone of pineapple rum,—and

that creamy softness in the stem, which is the admiration of every smoker ? Well, to an

extent, I believe the colouring of a pipe is not so much an art as a gift. It is like a cook being gifted naturally with ' a hand' for a light crust; like an artist who produces effects with colours that are the despair of imitators— that artist, for example, who, when

bothered for his ' secret,' and asked how he dressed his palette, replied, ' With brains.'

Still, though your smoker is born, not made, just as much as your poet, there are certain

rules, hints, and suggestions, the results of experience, that may be communicated. It is

possible, to an extent, to show another what to do, and what to avoid,—just as you may

not be able to make a fellow a good yachtsman ; but you may give him a chart showing

where there is safe and pleasant sailing, where dangerous currents and sunken rocks

threatening destruction.

My experience with the pipe dates from the Crimea. That, no doubt, is the case with

many others. It was a great school for rising talent in the smoking way. Had the colouring

of pipes been a lost art, I believe the exigencies of that campaign would have been equal

to its re-discovery. We were always smoking: our pipes were the comfort, the consolation, of our lives. We coloured everything that came in our way; often converting, by a sort of alchemic process, the commonest fragment— the broken-off bowl of a despised clay, for instance— into a gem of priceless worth. I have one such trophy —a picture. It is quite black—the colour, and with the polish, of ebony; not a flaw or spec upon it; not the faintest cloud or variation of tint. I have it mounted in gold and amber, and prize it as one of the choice features of my collection. But I am not writing here of the clay, but of the meerschaum; and it is not my purpose to enlarge on my own collection or my own smoking exploits, but to threw out a few hints and suggestions that may be practically valuable to others. One great point—shall I say the great point ?—is the choice of a meerschaum. The

novice in search of a pipe looks in at a shop-window, and sees a number of creamylooking

specimens cosily reposing in their purple-velvet cases; and the natural questions

arising in his mind are: Which of these ought I to buy ? Is one better than the other ? and

if so, how am I to test its superiority ? Does price alone determine the question ? and will that for which I give the most money inevitably give me the most satisfaction ? Very

natural questions, to which I will endeavour to give practical answers. And, to begin with, price has nothing to do with the matter. In the choice of a pipe, there are four points to be considered, namely, Form, Colour, Weight, and Mounting. Let us take them in order.

1. Form. — The pipe best suited to the novice is the ordinary straight-stemmed billiard

pipe, with the upright bowl. It is not handsome, but has this peculiar advantage, that, from the uprightness of the bowl, there is no tendency on the part of the oil to settle otherwise than straight down into the plug; consequently, there is an equal amount of absorption all round, giving a uniform colour. A more popular shape is that with the straight stem, but projecting bowl. The objection to this, so far as the neophyte is concerned, lies in the fact that, unless great caution is used, the oil saturates the lower side of the bowl only; and, in cases of quick smoking and careless lighting, the upper part becomes burnt, and so the beauty of the thing is lost. There is a clumsy pipe,—a cross between the upright and the projecting bowl, — with a thick flattened stem, somewhat in vogue; but this is to be avoided. The bore is generally imperfect; the draught, consequently, irregular; and thus great difficulty attends anything like perfect colouring. While I recommend a straight pipe to the beginner, the curved pipe is decidedly finer in appearance, and so better repays the trouble of colouring. Greater variety of shape is also attainable. But, undoubtedly, this form of pipe requires more careful smoking; and it is difficult to get the stem properly coloured. There is also the drawback as to comfort, that in its use the smoke is constantly getting into one's eyes. All fancy pipes— those adorned with figures, or otherwise ornamented— should be avoided by the novice. Not only are they. easily broken, or chipped, which is as bad, even from not being laid exactly in their right place when returned to the case, but they rarely colour evenly; and you cannot get the delicate gradations of shade that give a charm to the plain pipe. 2. As to Colour.—It is difficult to lay down an invariable rule for the choice of

meerschaum by its colour. The true colour is a delicate cream; but there are gradations in

tint. The one thing to be avoided is a perfectly dead white: that is bad. Put a white piece

of meerschaum out of the question, and you may secure that which is light and soft, even,

sometimes, with the faintest possible flush on it, as if caught from the rising Aphrodite by the creamy foam. But the true cream is the only really reliable colour.

3. Weight.—New meerschaum is very light: it speedily increases in weight through

smoking, from the oil absorbed. Bear this in mind, and do not purchase that which is as

heavy as a smoked pipe. Of course, the actual weight will depend on the size and style of

mounting; but this can be judged of. The great thing is, that the material itself should be

essentially light, like the foam of the sea, from which it is named. 4. Mounting. — This is the surest test of a good pipe. Let the inexperienced look to this.

Comparatively few people are able to form an accurate opinion from colour; but the

mounting speaks for itself. If a pipe is mounted with a long piece of good amber without

a flaw in it, and that amber fits accurately at the join, it is pretty sure to be a good pipe. Those of an indifferent quality are seldom carefully and artistically mounted. Of the two kinds of amber, the clear and the clouded, it is advisable to choose the latter. The clouded is tougher, less brittle, and less liable to break in the mouth.

Now, we will suppose that you have your pipe, one of the very best. Happy possessor of a

treasure •— a source of delight, or of perpetual worry and weariness of spirit, just as it

may happen ! For the pipe is little: it is the smoking thereof that is everything. Come,

then, let us light up. Stay ! for that purpose tobacco is needed; and it is most natural that you should at once propound to me the query: What kind of tobacco is best for colouring ? A simple point; yet never was there one with a greater diversity of opinion upon it. 'Tobacco!' shouts my old friend Sabertache, — 'Tobacco ! How can there be two views about it ? Cavendish will colour a pipe twice as quickly as any other kind of tobacco, and render it blacker than any other possibly can. Besides, it is pleasanter in flavour.' Granted, old boy, provided your internal organisation is of the robust quality which will enable you to emulate the ostrich in digestion. But strong meat is not for all: I could as easily digest a horse's saddle as a saddle of horse; and, in the matter of tobacco, I find shag strong enough for me. It is strong enough, too, I believe, for all colouring purposes; but it must be admitted that the process is slower, because it contains a less quantity of the essential oil. To those who are impatient, let me recommend a compromise. Mix cavendish and shag in the proportion of one-third of the former to two-thirds of the latter.

This mixture is capital, and is more agreeable than cavendish itself, inasmuch as it

prevents that copious oozing of oil through the pores of the pipe, often very unpleasant.

Moreover, cavendish fouls a pipe very rapidly. What about bird's-eye ? Well, it is

pleasant to smoke, but too dry for colouring purposes. Blended with shag, it gives a nice

light tone to meerschaum ; but he must be clever who can extract from the two in

combination that deep ebony hue we all so much admire.

Old hands are all agreed that the tobacco itself is not so much a point, as the manner in

which it is used : and more especially in respect to that indispensable little contrivance—

the plug. I am not prepared to say that a pipe will not colour without a plug, because there

are men so gifted in this art—men whose style of smoking is so admirable—that they will

colour anything. Put a stem into a pipkin, and they will colour it for you—turn it out a

bright mahogany, with nothing stronger than latakia to do it with. But the ordinary

smoker must have a plug. It may be formed of meerschaum, of cork, or of tobacco.

Meerschaum is the worst material of the three — because, being equally porous with the

pipe itself, it absorbs the oil which you want to form your colouring matter. This kind of

plug is, moreover, likely to get fixed in the bowl, and to require force for its removal—

force which often results in the splitting of the pipe itself. The worst of cork as a plug is,

that it is liable to get charred, and so to impart a disagreeable flavour to the tobacco ;

besides, it does not hold the oil long enough for the pipe to absorb it properly. No; there

is only one good material for plugging, and that is tobacco itself. There is but one

objection to it; which is, that in a thoughtless, preoccupied moment, it may be smoked

beyond the line fixed on, whereby the symmetry of the colouring is spoiled. Some

smokers use tobacco covered with bone or metal; but there are objections to both plans.

The bone chars and injures the flavour; the metal heats so rapidly, that it often seriously

injures the pipe.

Having, then, decided on tobacco in all its simplicity as the material of the plug, we have

next to decide how it is to be used. Form the plug, if possible, of one piece, judging the

quantity, and carefully manipulating it into its place. If composed of layers, the upper one

is apt to come off, unnoticed by the smoker, when he is cleaning his pipe, and then the

colouring line is broken. Care should be taken not to press the tobacco down too hard; for

if it is too much compressed, there is no room for the oil between the fibres; and then one

of two things will happen— either the plug will swell and rise above the line, or else the

oil will run through and foul the pipe, and in either case a too-frequent change of plug

will be necessitated. Remember, by the way, always to fix the line of colouring a little

above what appears to be the correct mark, as indicated by the plug. How often should

the plug be changed? Well, the amount of smoking indulged in will in a great measure

regulate this. Under any circumstances, one ought to last a week; and, where moderation

is exercised, it may be left in for a fortnight, or even for three weeks.

Thus far we have settled three important points: we have chosen our pipe; we have

plugged it in the best practical manner; we have secured fitting tobacco. And now, what

next ? Next, we will begin to smoke. In doing so, lay these rules to heart: 1. Smoke as

slowly as possible; and for these two very sufficient reasons, viz. in order that too much

of the oil should not be dried up in the process; and also, in order to avoid over-heating

the pipe, and thereby causing it to become baked to a degree of hardness that would

render it incapable of absorbing the oil from the plug. 2. The pipe should not be smoked

in the open air, as any little breeze will cause the tobacco to burn more quickly than is

desirable. This only refers to the first stage of colouring; when that is got over, and the

colour is well set, careful out-door smoking is permissible. 3. Always load the pipe

immediately after having smoked it. By this means, ash and fragments of tobacco are

kept out of the case—a very important matter, though it seems trifling; but the slightest

thing will scratch, and so destroy the beauty of, a pipe, when it is in first-rate condition. 4.

Be careful in lighting up; see that the tobacco is well ignited all round; and watch, during

the smoking, that one side does not burn lower than the other. 5. When you have smoked

one pipe of tobacco, allow the pipe to cool before smoking a 'second. This is most

important, as the effect of smoking continuously is as bad on the pipe as many authorities

declare it to be on the smoker. 6. When it becomes foul, the pipe should be cleaned with

great care. One mode, often adopted, is preferable to the poking of wires down the stem.

It is this : remove the plug; half-fill the 'pipe, light it, put a piece of gauze, or the corner

of a thin handkerchief, over the bowl, and, applying your mouth to that end, blow

strongly, holding the stem downwards during the operation. By this means, you will be

able to liquefy the deposit in the stem, which will slowly ooze out at the amber-pointed

extremity. The operation must be conducted with great care. A little gin, or other spirit,

may afterwards be poured through the pipe quickly.

These are the main rules for the smoking of meerschaums. Very simple, you see, and

guaranteed to be very effectual. One or two practical suggestions may be added. It will

often happen that, when the pipe has attained great beauty of tone, the colour will

disappear in parts, and it will become spotty in appearance. If this should be the case

below the line, no uneasiness need be experienced, though the cause remains a mystery.

Steady smoking will set all that right. Some people advise as a remedy the application of

oil or white wax. I set my face against this practice, as it gives the pipe an increased

tendency to heat rapidly, and ultimately to burn. Steady smoking is, I am convinced, the

best cure. If you have a valuable pipe, and wish to preserve it in perfection,—and if,

moreover, you can resist the pleasure of contemplating its budding charms, its slowly

developing loveliness,—why, there is nothing so desirable as having it covered with

chamois-leather. I say advisedly ' having' it covered: don't try to do it yourself; you will

only scratch it with the needle in sewing it on—a feat which only an experienced person

can achieve.

What next? Much more might be said, for the theme is inexhaustible; as one may suppose

from the lion's share which the colouring of their pipes holds in the conversation of so

many men in society. But I think this will do. Like many another art, that of smoking

meerschaums, though demanding some study, is soon imparted. The rudiments are

simple; the results depend on the genius of the student; but I can promise this with

confidence—that, if these suggestions are carried out, no smoker need despair of

possessing a pipe that shall be a pleasure by reason of its sweetness, and an ornament by

reason of its beauty.

andrewtpoland

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
Again, Thank y'all so much for the kind words and advice! Where can I get white beeswax, and how do I go about applying it? I've heard about the beeswax before, but those two questions always kind of made me hesitant to try it. I smoke this pipe almost exclusively at home. I use my other 9 or so pipes when I leave the house or am doing something where the pipe may get dirty. For the first few months that I smoked this, I got nearly no coloration at all. Then, as if flipping a switch, it burst out in the coloring. I guess it just had to get around to it. I'll be sure to post more pictures as it progresses. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.