PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
I was at work the other day (NAPA Auto Parts) and was in the paint section and thought that it might be a pretty decent idea to use clean, unused paint cans to store tobacco. If I wash them, it should be just like any tin you get tobacco in and if it's a good enough seal for paint, then it should be fine for tobacco. Anyone see any problems with this?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't know about using "used" cans, but new ones are available.

You can also purchase Borkum Riff in a "paint can", they work very well.

I have used them in the past for my bulk tobaccos.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
That sounds like a good idea and it should store tobacco pretty well. Since I am not too sure what kind of metal the cans are made out of and I am pretty sure that they are not food grade, I would put the tobacco into a big plastic bag and then put the bag into the can and seal it.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Do like bob said and pop it in a plastic bag of some sort and just soak the cans down with some kind of solution to make sure you get all smell and traces of the old paint out and sanitized. Don't want any of those fumes absorbing into the tobacco.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
They would work fine , the cans are made of high carbon steel which resists rust and chemicals , but you still need to use a plastic bag as a liner . NAPA is a real parts house , the kind where they dont have to ask if your car has a/c . lol

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I don't see why they wouldn't work. Wat back when, when I first started smoking at the tender age of 12 or 13, I sneaked my Dad's Cavalier cigarettes. They came in a 100 count oval tin much like a paint can.

blackhorse

Lurker
May 10, 2010
Peretti's, on Boston Commons (blender of two of my favorites...333 and 102), distributes their half and full pound orders in paint cans. Or at least they are that style of can. They put the tobacco into heavy plastic bags inside and twist-tie the bags prior to whacking the lid down well. Works for them, works for me, might work for you!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's true Phil,
I just thought about what I found at the local "Dollar General" store.

In the kitchen wares area I found some storage jars with stainless steel screw on lids that seal very well. I bought a couple one small and one tall. They were $2 & $3 respectively. They seem to be working out very well.
DSC00213.jpg

frankryan

Lurker
May 16, 2010
Between my wife and me we get quite a few prescription bottles month by month. I know they are airtight but any one aware of problems using them to store small amounts of tobacco.

blackhorse

Lurker
May 10, 2010
We buy enough glass jars with 're-sealable' lids (some kind of applied gasket material inside the lid) to pretty much keep up with any new tobacco purchases I do. I just got a nice pint jar that is used to sell Classico pasta sauce. It is embossed (actually the design is 'molded' into the glass when it's formed) on two sides with "Atlas Mason" and on two side with graduated oz. measure lines...4 oz., 8 oz., up to 16...but with a total capacity of 20 fl. oz. It'll store between 1/4 to 1/2 lb. of pipe tobacco depending on the density. The jar is tall and narrow and is an ideal way to 'recycle' glass. Believe me, it's the only pasta sauce I buy...and in addition to getting the cool jars, it's a good sauce! lol

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sounds like a workable alternative to standard Mason jars. I think I'm gonna keep an eye out for sealed-jar products with wide mouths and fairly shallow depth. Thanks, Blackhorse. (Just my luck I'll stumble on "the perfect jar", and it'll be something like Russian caviar at $100/oz.!)

blackhorse

Lurker
May 10, 2010
LOL - Pickle jars! I can just imagine.
But, hey! What about Perique blends!?! It may even enhance their unique flavors!
Re: the "canning jar" sauce jars - after a while you get a feel for it...also look for ones where the 'screw on' turn rate matches regular canning jars and you can use the standard 'ring and plate' lids which are Really cheap in most stores.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
After my previous post, it occurred to me that you might try deodorizing the lids with a baking soda soak, or scrub, if necessary. Perhaps even a bit of bleach (tho that may ruin the rubbery seal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.