PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Hello,

Well after some deliberation I've decided to join the ranks of the smokey and distinguished. I've been at it about a month now so here is what you're all wanting to know. What I'm smoking!

I started with a mall shop tobacconist who I won't be going back to. Word to the wise, always do your homework! I bought a "basket pipe" and some Erinmore blend for entirely too much. I'm in Canada so I'm sure I'm paying extra for my vices but what really bothers me is the pipe! $45 for not-briar and a plastic moulded stem with a burnable finish! Yikes. Well it smoked well enough to get me to the next tobacconists where I picked up a bit of Sail Deluxe and a proper Brigham basket pipe, marked Capri Italy ( I deduced later it was a Brigham made basket pipe by the shops other pipes, all Brigham). This one is a nice straight billiard and smokes quite nicely. More than aware of my pipe deficiency I spied what I thought was a Bulldog in the case and decided to come back for it. A few weeks later I came back for it, it's a Brigham 316, from Italy as well and as it turns out; a Rhodesian! This time I picked up some MB HH Latakia flake and some Mr. Bs English Mix.

So a Billiard, a Rhodesian and a scrappy nameless Dutch Freehand looking thing. Plus a good shake of some fairly decent tobacco for a beginner. And the best part? I'm about a month in and I don't miss the cigarettes at all! I think I'm even paying less, pipes not included. This is probably old hat around here but for me giving up cigarettes is a big deal. I thought I'd never kick that habit, but here I am - not breathless at the top of large hills.

Which brings me to another point; smoking outdoors in pleasant places. I have a little spot in the city where I liked to go and fish this summer we've just had but I never caught any fish at all. River is too fast, fish are too picky and I'm not terribly invested in the hobby so it was actually a great fishing spot for a lazy fisherman. As it turns out it is also a good spot for a pipefull! I was down there the other day sat on a rock with my billiard and some flake and the event was just as enjoyable without a fishing rod, though now I wonder if it wouldn't be twice as good with the rod. Anyway, I think this is a good way to smoke. Go for a walk, find a nice spot. Fumigate it.

Anyways, that's me. I'm here to grumble on about things and talk pipes and tobacco. I'm interested in making my own pipes and I'm eyeing up a block of briar on my desk as I type, so I imagine I'll ask a lot of questions about that when the time comes.

My favorite smoke so far has been the Latakia flake in my Rhodesian, which has the rock maple filter. My dream pipe is an Ashton.

Cheers and happy puffing.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Welcome from Minnesota.

I'm an ex carton a week cigarette smoker too and hadn't had one in over 20 years when I began pipes. At first there was quite a bit of concern that cigarettes would re-enter the picture but after 3 years that hasn't happened and can honestly say there's no temptation in the least bit. I marvel at the price of cigarettes here at almost $100 a carton.

Enjoy your pipe tobacco and keep in mind to get it while you can.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.