PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Yeah but tobacco is an appreciating asset. You can always trade or sell what you don’t like for far more than you paid for it with just 4-5 years of age.

I'd say that's an exaggeration. Yes, a small handful of blends reach top-price status. There are plenty of good ones that don't, even with age or being out of production.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
While it may be a stretch to consider tobacco an appreciating asset, I think it's fair to say it's not going to get any cheaper. There are numerous reasons to believe the price could raise significantly over the next few years. Seems to me the best justification for cellaring is to insure you are able to smoke your favorite blends well into the future. That should be justification enough. Everything else is just window dressing.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Seems to me the best justification for cellaring is to insure you are able to smoke your favorite blends well into the future. That should be justification enough. Everything else is just window dressing.
Absolutely. Putting away for a time when it's either unaffordable or no longer available has been my primary driving force.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Getting to the last of the fat cow years...
Pipe-smoking-Cow.jpg

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I'd say that's an exaggeration. Yes, a small handful of blends reach top-price status. There are plenty of good ones that don't, even with age or being out of production.
I would disagree. If you look at any well reviewed commonly available blend from C&D, GLP, Dunhill or any other manufacturer, they routinely sell for double what they cost from online vendors new with 5 years of age at consignment shops. When Pipestud puts up tins on his Consignment Shop of every kind with 5 years of age they sell within a day easy. It is rare to see a tin last for a whole week. Rare tins with more age sell within minutes even with price up into the hundreds of dollars. eBay was the same way until it was recently shut down. Now those EBay sales have moved over to private FB groups. While there are some dogs no one wants they are in the minority. If you cellar good tobacco it appreciates in value and you can always get more for it than you originally paid. Not that I would sell any of my cellar unless I am on my deathbed.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2012
Only that the current version of 965 (Peterson) will be almost exactly like the previous STG iteration ("Dunhill"). Yeah it rather sucks.
Hmmm, I rather enjoy it. The fact that it isn't the same as the old doesn't mean much to me even though I've gone through my old tin of the Murray stuff (heavenly stuff true). "They say it's the same but it isn't the same" holds no sway here. The fact that something doesn't match the memory or a previous time doesn't mean the thing itself is bad. It just means that it's different.

I like the STG version as it introduced me to the world of lat bombs and nic spins. Is it the best tobacco out there? Probably not. Is it objectively a terrible tobacco...nah.

Reactions: Elric

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
Can't remember the song.
Here's the chorus:

"Well there's a rose in the fisted glove
And eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey,
Love the one you're with."

Nicely applies to pipe tobacco!

Reactions: derhammer

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Reselling or trading pipe tobacco and pipes is somewhat a separate hobby, and one you have to keep up with, not just pricing but shipping between states and countries, etc. etc. If that's your pleasure, it is a good way to stay even or make a little money, but if you are into pipe smoking as a relaxation, it might not suit your purposes. A little of that would go a long way with me.

Reactions: ram74

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
While it may be a stretch to consider tobacco an appreciating asset, I think it's fair to say it's not going to get any cheaper. There are numerous reasons to believe the price could raise significantly over the next few years. Seems to me the best justification for cellaring is to insure you are able to smoke your favorite blends well into the future. That should be justification enough. Everything else is just window dressing.
Honestly only some states in the US are the last bastions of cheap tobacco. Look at tin prices world wide. Look at UK, Europe, Asia etc. Expect to 18-20 dollars for 50 grams. In my own state of Florida a 85% tobacco tax was added years back which put most B&M shops out of business. Even if I had a local place to buy tins, a $10 tin would cost me 18.50 plus 7% sales tax. If you live in a low tobacco tax state you are lucky and in the minority. Online availability has declined drastically for major brands like SG, Rattray, Esoterica, Germain’s, Dan Tobacco, etc. Online sales being banned sooner or later is a possibility whether people want to believe it or not. Adding all this up I don’t see how cellaring is not the most prudent direction.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
I'm doing what I can, when I can to build a nice stash. It doesn't look too shabby right now. I'm taking all the advice, and if nothing happens, oh well I'll have a good variety and quantity to choose from.

Reactions: ram74
Online sales being banned sooner or later is a possibility whether people want to believe it or not.
This ^ will kill the hobby completely when it happens. And, it will just happen overnight, like with chewing tobacco. One day we can order things, the next... nada. And, only those with cellars will be able to have a cushion from a few extra weeks of smoking to years. It just doesn't make sense NOT to cellar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For members who smoke a number of bowls a day especially, deep cellaring is the way to go. Gauging how much of what is an art, but not impossible. If I bought no other tobacco starting today, I think at the rate I smoke, I'd be good for about eight years, with better and better aging leaf as I go. However, since I seem to buy more than I smoke, along the way, I'm not especially worried. Like most, I'd be pleased to live to 120 gently puffing all the way. Not likely but perhaps the best attitude.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I tried the Standard Medium, having been a huge fan of Murray's. This one tasted like they left the Latakia out of the blend; So glad I do not smoke English blends any longer. I have one tin left of Murray's production from the 1980's.

Status
Not open for further replies.