PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Dunhill (Murray) 965 may/may not be my absolute favorite pipe tobacco but, it was a reliable mainstay. The expected taste and satisfaction was reliably dependable. I had what I thought was a sufficient stash but, regrettably, I ran out of most of it several years ago and smoked the last of it earlier this year. In 2017 I bought some of the then current STG produced 965. There was something about it that I just did not quite care for. IMHO it was an extremely pale reproduction of the 965 that I had previously enjoyed. I fully realized that the STG no longer had Syrian latakia and supposed that my be one attribute of my dissatisfaction. I, also, felt that it tasted ’new’ at the time. I decided to jar it up and revisit it in the future.

After this, I purchased Match Dunhill 965. I found this to be pretty similar to the Murray’s. I enjoy it and have been cellaring quantities of it and it’s new named Match 20 for a couple of years now.

Today was the “future day” that I revisited that jar of STG 965. It was godawful! I wish that I had Jim’s palate-speak to aptly describe the taste. It really did not resemble 965 in any iteration that I have smoked. I would actually venture to say that there was an off-putting chemical component to the taste.

This brings me to my point and a question for some of the veteran pipe smokers as well.

If you like a blend, cellar it heavily. We all realize that future availability itself looks bleak. You may not be able to get what is currently obtainable. And what you are able to get may not be the same. Finally, what you think is ‘enough’ just might not be enough.

Now, my question: Just WTF did STG do with this blend to come up with this? I am not bringing this up to dog SGT in general. They make a lot of great product that I enjoy. Even the McConnell Marylebone was closer to 965 than this was. I am going to buy a tin of the recent STG production to if anything has changed for the better. Any thoughts?

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I realize I missed a couple of typos. Too late to edit. I will add that the one consistent likable quality of the STG Dunhill/Peterson tobaccos is they kept the old Dunhill cut. I do like London Mixture but, it, sadly has not (yet?) returned. Hopefully, I have enough:)

Another curious observation, is that the Match Elizabethan is (I believe) closer to the old (Murray) Elizabethan, as well. At least the STG version of this is a ‘decent’ smoke.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I’m so glad I started after these old blends are gone. Also after McClelland closed up shop. Ignorance is bliss.

I hope, when the tobaccolypse happens, I don’t pine for any blends, and just enjoy what I can get.
I agree. I was able to get enough McClelland to satisfy my needs, but I only care about what's being manufactured now. The past is the past.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The matches hit the Murray's version much better than STG. Sutliff's Match Elizabethan/Victorian is nearly a dead ringer for Murray's Elizabethan.

Sadly, I didn't stock up on Mephisto when it was plentiful which is what started me heavily cellaring in the early 2000s.

Oct 7, 2016
The matches hit the Murray's version much better than STG. Sutliff's Match Elizabethan/Victorian is nearly a dead ringer for Murray's Elizabethan.

Sadly, I didn't stock up on Mephisto when it was plentiful which is what started me heavily cellaring in the early 2000s.
Ditto on the Match Elizabethan (Now Victorian). The Sutliff Match London Mixture (now Big Ben), is, I think, closer to the Murray’s Dunhill London than @jiminks rates it, but I am going on memory for the Murray’s. Match Victorian is a fine VaPer on its own merits, even if you disagree as to how close it is to whatever version.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Know thyself. Some will order five pounds of a blend and double up on their use of it. Others will lose their appetite for it once they are so well supplied, or over supplied. Also, people's tastes change. From batch to batch, sources change and aging changes the blend too. A good supply to see you through the shortages is a good idea, but take into account these other variables too.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Know thyself. Some will order five pounds of a blend and double up on their use of it. Others will lose their appetite for it once they are so well supplied, or over supplied. Also, people's tastes change. From batch to batch, sources change and aging changes the blend too. A good supply to see you through the shortages is a good idea, but take into account these other variables too.
Yeah but tobacco is an appreciating asset. You can always trade or sell what you don’t like for far more than you paid for it with just 4-5 years of age. Just today a 2013 one pound bag of HH Vintage Syrian sold for $175 on Pipestud’s shop. I have several of those bags and bought for them dirt cheap during a sale on smokingpipes. Even easily available blends have nearly doubled in price in the last 10 years. Go on smokingpipes using the internet archive wayback machine and browse the 2009 snapshots for the site. The easy availability and prices were insane back then, Esoterica was easily available, prices dirt cheap for everything. Even Black Frigate and Pirate Kake have nearly doubled. If I recall from my browsing a pound was 26.99. Cellaring heavy is the way to go. I wish I had cellared Mcclelland deeply while it was still around.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Take advantage of the sales. 1lb bags of OJK were around $29 a few weeks ago. I forget the site but they are in the mail :sher:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Even Black Frigate and Pirate Kake have nearly doubled. If I recall from my browsing a pound was 26.99.
A pound Brick of Black Frigate was special order only but it and Pirate Kake were indeed $27 ten years ago. That being said, a tin of BF has been just under $10 for nearly ten years as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.