PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Yes, Howard Baker was a politician and I don't want to start crap. Frankly, other than the fact he was somehow involved in the Watergate hearings, I don't remember that much about him. But I do remember when you could smoke your pipe anywhere, including our own national capital. Here's Howard and a few fellow pipers at the hearings.

KCLO_Baker_12_t607.jpg

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Isn't that former Tennessee Senator and actor Fred Thompson in the foreground?

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I did some googleing and it is. Apparently he was minority counsel to Howard Baker during the Watergate hearings. There's the same picture as the OP but from a different perspective on his Wikipedia page.
Regardless, I wonder what they're smoking?

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
There was a film from the same perspective and spot that CBS News played the night Baker died. All you could see was this wall of smoke flying from all three of those pipes at the same time.
I vote for Mcclelland 900 - Refined Tennessee Ribbon.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
The Washington Post also ran this photo of Sens. Thompson and Baker -- you can clearly see Thompson's pipe in hand.
[Edited for size.]
9f9eb9d6-4895-4316-9323-a41481447363_zpsb54b4f12.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Everytime the topic of smoking inside of buildings/planes/vehicles is broached, I always think about this scene.
The Goods: Smoking Speech
When I was in Bahrain we could smoke in the malls, hotels ... anywhere. That era has since ended there as well. When I came home on leave for the first time, I went to a bar, lit up ... and then couldn't find an ashtray. I was then informed that new laws had passed (while I was away) and I had to take my cigarette outside.
Context aside, the pictures are pretty cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And in the background, to the right, is Sen. Sam Ervin from Morganton, N.C., where Cornell & Diehl has

been located for years, and to the left, his staffer and later N.C. Insurance Commissioner (I think it was)

Rufus Edmisten.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I guess those presidential election matching funds help keep you out of polyester.

Status
Not open for further replies.