Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The "Antis" are the most over the top nut jobs I have ever experienced, except for my ex-wife, maybe.
I am not a fan of Hookah, as I consider it to be the wine coolers of the tobacco world.
However, this article in the NY Times is quite disturbing for its' unreal level of sensationalism. You would think Hookah is worse than Heroine, or at least as bad as cigarettes, which is basically saying the same thing.
I feel sorry for these poor business-owners and the poor college kids. What a shame.
Putting a Crimp in the Hookah

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Jesus, this is so stupid. When will they ever learn to EDUCATE, not BAN. Inform college students that hookah smoking is as dangerous or more dangerous than cigarette smoking and let them make their own god darned decisions, they're not 5 year old kids for gods sake.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
And now, legislators, college administrators and health advocates are taking action against what many of them call the newest front in the ever-shifting war on tobacco.

That pretty much says it all doesn't it.
Oh yeah, I thought we weren't supposed to mention our hookah smoking brethren here? Because we as pipe smokers are so far above them and whatnot. :roll:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@kf5eqv

Oh yeah, I thought we weren't supposed to mention our hookah smoking brethren here? Because we as pipe smokers are so far above them and whatnot
I don't have anything against anyone that enjoys Hookah. Live and let live as long as you don't mess with how I want to live.
The reason we have a rule against posting hookah stuff is two-fold.
1. It is a completely different thing than smoking traditional American-style pipe tobacco in a briar, meerschaum, etc. The content is not a fit for this site, just as we do not have content relating to chewing tobacco. It's not on-topic for what this site targets.
2. A while back we were starting to get several spammers posting links to hookah related websites.
I posted that link to be on topic with the discussion of the completely over the top over-sensationalized never-ending attacks on tobacco where they make it sound way worse than it is. That's why it's posted in the Tobacco Legislation forum.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Do you think that there will be any Anti-cellphone freaks that come out from this article?

CELLPHONE= CARCINOGEN?
Me neither. If it's seen as a benefit to society, then the risks are OK. I love the first line of the fourth paragraph, "Anything is a possible carcinogen"... The fifth paragraph pushes forth the idea that night-shift work is a probable carcinogen. If this is all true, why finger tobacco as the #1 cause of whatever. How can you prove that when alcohol, night-shift, coffee are all possible or probable carcinogens... Junk science seems to rule and the sub-standard journalists just regurgitate the same inherently flawed study findings. I can only hope that people figure it out before you can't do anything for yourself without permission from those who are looking out for your health.
-Jason

PeriqueMyInterest

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I do not want to seem as though I disrespect the rules of this wonderful website but in the defense of the hooka Kevin, though I will agree that the latest pretentious obsession with the art frustrates me more than a lot of people, it is an old part of my cultural heritage that I deeply respect. I will leave it at that because I come here to talk pipes not hookas.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's a very brief, but great response to the absolute stupidity of the original article. It's a 10 second read, and a 20 second laugh.
http://gawker.com/5806911/hookahs-will-totally-kill-you

Status
Not open for further replies.