PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
I had to do it. I was going to wait a monthe but, I ordered a Peterson Irish army XL 90 acrilic from Smoking pipes. I also ordered a tin of Father Dempsey tobacco to try out. I heard good things about it. I'm trying to have a pipe for each day to start. I have 4 now , the army will make 5. Can't wait.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had to do it. I was going to wait a monthe but, I ordered a Peterson Irish army XL 90 acrilic from Smoking pipes. I also ordered a tin of Father Dempsey tobacco to try out. I heard good things about it. I'm trying to have a pipe for each day to start. I have 4 now , the army will make 5. Can't wait.
7 day rotation sounds good 👍

Until the 8th and 9th arrives 😁

Before you know it, you're on the way to a 365 day rotation :eek:

Welcome to PAD rotf

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Like polygamy, how can you really get to to know one, when you switch back and forth so often!
funny that is kind of how I think about it. Less polygamy and more dating all the ladies you can. Might be fun but you're not going to get to know them.
Side note when I see polygamists I always think they look miserable even the guy who always looks arrogant but more sad. don't do that to your pipes

Reactions: didimauw

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I'm not sure how many pipes I have anymore probably in the vicinity of 60 or 70. I have not really smoked it off for 20 years until a couple of weeks ago. I have probably smoked about 25 different pipes that I have rotated between. I like to allow my pipes to dry and air out between smokings. If possible I try not to smoke a pipe unless it is rested for a couple of days. I find this helps prevent bitterness and moisture build up, especially with Virginia tobacco's. Just my opinion, ymmv.

Reactions: gervais and Hunter1
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Ahem! in fairness to myself....puffy
I only have 2 more pipes that I'm really looking for. One of which arrived yesterday.

The other, well I'm still looking for it.
In fact, just before last Christmas, I was perusing the "Fresh Pipes" section of SP estates, where I happened upon the pipe I was hunting. I was shaking with anticipation, went to load it to my cart, check out, etc.
Darn it! :mad: somebody beat me to it. I couldn't believe it. For weeks after I was smarting from "the one that got away!"
Never again will I hesitate in the shadow of pipe buying!

In the mean time, there's always the other pipes to look at/buy...

• Wow
Reactions: Hunter1

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my Petes a lot. Enjoy having just the five for a while, if you can. Pipes can proliferate like rabbits, as I can attest. I'd say just buy one pipe at a time, and maybe save up for a while while you develop a list of prospects and then narrow it down to just one. You learn about your tastes and think about it harder.

Reactions: reloader

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
7 pipes for a week is pretty solid number if you smoke a bowl a day. Then this bright idea will occur. "If 7 per week is good.. 31 for a month is better!" I stopped there. Then few extra for special situations. I heard there are members with enough pipes for each days of the year or two.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
It's like anything else, never enough fly rods, guns, rifles. In the long run it will still be cheaper than buying my cigars. At least I'll always have my pipes.
Buy guns and ammo...and pipes...and tobacco...and liquor...aww hell, just buy a lot of everything.

Don't @ me ATF.

All kidding aside, 7 is a good rotation, but you will find yourself saying 14 is a good rotation, then 21, then 28.
Definitely grab yourself a few MM cobs as well. Besides being solid smokers, they are also great for trying out new tobaccos that might have you concerned about ghosting.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Congrats on the new pipe! We have a rule here though. You have to post pictures of your new acquisition!