PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Nice! The color lines started around 66-67 after KW came out with their white briar. By 1980 demand had let up but they put out a white Color Viscount model with the Olympic Logo then. Around 84-85 UST allowed them to write off the excess inventory and $100,000 worth of colored pipes were buried in the sawdust pile at the old factory.

• Wow
Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nice! The color lines started around 66-67 after KW came out with their white briar. By 1980 demand had let up but they put out a white Color Viscount model with the Olympic Logo then. Around 84-85 UST allowed them to write off the excess inventory and $100,000 worth of colored pipes were buried in the sawdust pile at the old factory.
Interesting, I didn't know they came out that early. They do have a very late 60s, early 70s vibe. @Swampdragon69 thanks again for sending these, otherwise I'd have to go looking for that sawdust pile!

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I think these are ugly in a cool way, especially orange ones. When I started collecting as a kid, I had a Grabow that was green, a bent rhodesian a pipe guy told 8-year-old me was called a "squad bulldog." Bought it at a drugstore, and I wish I still had it.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Typo. SQUAT bulldog. Of course, kid me pictured a dog squatting... doing what dogs do when they squat. My mom thought that pipe was ugly. She thought the same of the other one I got there, a straight billiard Yello-Bole that was called "Tweed," and was painted gray with little black and white paint squiggles. Wish I still had both of those.