PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Here is an example of a fake Dunhill that comes up on eBay from time to time. I contacted the seller but they disregarded my concern. I then reported the item to eBay in regards to its authenticity.
Fake Dunhill listing

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Thanks for posting and thanks for reporting. It sure helps protect us new guys getting in to the collection side of the hobby.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
OK. I'm still learning. So it is fake because...

1. inferior briar

2. name stamp isn't from patent era

3. patent is wrong font and location

Am I correct or are any of these wrong? Or did I miss something else? This is fun. :)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
2. name stamp isn't from patent era

3. patent is wrong font and location

Am I correct or are any of these wrong? Or did I miss something else? This is fun.
Yes, and yes.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Someone needs to start a Pipe Comedy Channel for stuff like that. :lol:
Maybe better... and seriously... how about a separate board here on PM? People could use it as a learning reference---all the bullshit would be in one place---and foot-dragging sellers would have some incentive to get with the program.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hard to see much cash return on this lame forgery. Painting white spots on basket pipes.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's a Dunhill of mine that must have accidentally had "Willard" stamped on the shank =)
Actually this pipe was made before Dunhill sued Willard to move the spot from the top to the side.
willard%20top_zpsvwbvfhzi.jpg

willard%20side_zpsk4tg5cs5.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I emailed the seller, explained that it's a fake and requested the pipe be removed. He thanked me and removed it.
Sam, thanks for getting the ball rolling. I think the seller had multiple requests to close the sale.
:clap:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I just received this reply from the seller.
"You know I always consider the opinions of others and I did from yourself and others and removed this pipe. Today I took it to a long time pipe dealer and maker who has had a retail shop in town for many years. He looked at the pipe and said will you take $40 for it and I said yes. He was told what I had been told and he said he had no problem reselling it. Just thought you would like to here [sic] other opinions."

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
For anyone needing a good laugh,..check this listing and description!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292048355855

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
For anyone needing a good laugh,..check this listing and description!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292048355855
That's hilarious!
"Dunhill rare shell root walnut briar rarest old vintage pre 1920 straight pipe"?
The only word in that description that isn't a lie is "pipe". It's not even straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.