PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
So, I have this addiciton to making pipes and I like to share them with you all. Unfortunately this one had a nice crack in the briar as I was working it, and I had to rusticate it to try to conceal the crack as best as I could. Let me know what you all think and happy smoking!
rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

rust3.jpg

And for the sad part of the pipe...

rust4.jpg

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
Love the shape,the crack,well that just sucks, but other then that you have yourself a fine looking smoker. :puffy:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
How deep is the crack ? On pipes I keep for myself(don't consider good enough for sale) I have used Superglue and sanding dust for fills. Epoxy and sanding dust also is a good patch.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
well Mr Bird love the shape and the stem transition looks sharpe just wonderin if ya coulda maybe hid the flaw with some deeper carving

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Pawpaw, I unfortunately cannot go any deeper with that flaw without getting into the bowl, it is extremely close to the bowl but it will still smoke fine. I figure I will chalk this one up to a nice flyfishing pipe for myself. UncleArthur, I did think about doing that as well, but I figured, no big deal as long as it did not reach the bowl I was happy. Thank you for that suggestion!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Briarbird, don't feel like the Lonesome Stranger...

It seems to be a recurring theme lately, briar blocks with hidden flaws.

Seems that UncleArthur had one a day or two ago, and I know of one other in the past few days.

Very nice work though... that flaw is real shame.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Hey flyfishn, I actually love any and all fishing, I just got into fly fishing this year. I caught a real nice steal head trout on one of my first outings. how about yourself?

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Flyfishn, I know what you mean, I didn't get out as much as I wanted to as well. I am from Ohio and the little rivers are great for trout here.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Briarbird, cracks and flaws are just the nature of the beast.
Every time I run into one I think about what the big name pipe makers charge for their pipes and I realize that part of that price is the flawed blocks that we never know about.
Long as it will smoke, no harm, no foul. You now have a new pipe for yourself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.