PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I recently received a lot of Andreas Bauer pipes I won in an auction. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall condition of the lot but have one pipe inspiring some questions. There is a silver band stamped with "A B & Co. Ltd" and then what might be a date code stamp of an ⚓️, 🦁 and "a". Does anyone know how to decipher this? Unfortunately the pipedia article wasn't much help.
20230416_192849.jpg
20230416_192833.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I recently received a lot of Andreas Bauer pipes I won in an auction. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall condition of the lot but have one pipe inspiring some questions. There is a silver band stamped with "A B & Co. Ltd" and then what might be a date code stamp of an ⚓️, 🦁 and "a". Does anyone know how to decipher this? Unfortunately the pipedia article wasn't much help.
View attachment 216694
View attachment 216695
English silver hallmarks
Just Google "English Silver Hallmarks" - site(s) are generally easy to negotiate

The lion (in the middle) is the hall mark for England
The anchor is for Birmingham. Other cities commonly found are London (leopard's head) and Chester (tree).
And the "a" is the date letter

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Those are silver marks for Albert Baker & Co. Ltd. 1900 Birmingham
The hallmarks indicate that this pipe was mounted in Birmingham in 1900. I'll see if I can locate the maker of the sterling fitment.

Ahi Ka beat me to it.
English silver hallmarks
Just Google "English Silver Hallmarks" - site(s) are generally easy to negotiate

The lion (in the middle) is the hall mark for England
The anchor is for Birmingham. Other cities commonly found are London (leopard's head) and Chester (tree).
And the "a" is the date letter
Thank you all for the replies! Very helpful!

So is the pipe not Andreas Bauer at all then or is it just the stem that was made in Birmingham in 1900?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

So is the pipe not Andreas Bauer at all then or is it just the stem that was made in Birmingham in 1900?
Back in those days, the pipes or stummels were more often than not imported into England to be "finished or tarted up with silver".
Then stamped "Made in London or England"

Reactions: brandaves
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

Andreas Bauer was founded 1908, this pipe was at least mounted sometime around 1900. So the chances of it being a Bauer are slim to none. The silver looks like a shank repair, so I would say the pipe would possibly be older than 1900. Most English Meers of that era were made in Vienna or Germany and then mounted in England. Albert Baker is a likely candidate as stated by @Ahi Ka
Albert baker.PNG

Reactions: brandaves

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Andreas Bauer was founded 1908, this pipe was at least mounted sometime around 1900. So the chances of it being a Bauer are slim to none. The silver looks like a shank repair, so I would say the pipe would possibly be older than 1900. Most English Meers of that era were made in Vienna or Germany and then mounted in England. Albert Baker is a likely candidate as stated by @Ahi Ka
View attachment 216765
I now believe the pipe to be made by Albert Baker and Co. England as you said.

I knew Andreas Bauer was founded in 1908 so I figure like you that it probably isn't an Andreas Bauer. The seller probably saw the AB and made a leap from there. Either way, very happy with the pipe. It is now the earliest functional pipe I own. Excited to give a smoke soon!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have had a few Albert Baker & Co. pipes which have been excellent. I also have had a few which had bands marked only A-B. My conclusion is that the ones with the AB&Co bands were sold through their own tobacconist, whereas the others were mounted and then stamped/sold through tobacconists. It took me a while to figure this out (and I could still be wrong) but I noticed the A-B mark on silverwork unrelated to tobacco which gave provenance to Albert Baker.