PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The amount of cheeses available around the world must be countless with most regions producing some cheese that is pretty unique to that area.

I'm a fan of rich and creamy cheeses like St. Agur, Cambazola and the like but I also love most traditional English regional cheeses such as Cheddar, Stilton, Wensleydale & Cheshire....the crumblier the better for the latter.

I also love Cornish Yarg (a type of Brie wrapped in stinging nettle leaves) Dutch Edam and Norwegian Jarlsberg and Swiss Emmental.

I've even tried (and kind of liked) the ferocious smelling Stinking Bishop whose taste is nothing at all like its dead dog stench.

The one type of cheese I avoid however is goat's milk cheese......I just hate the stuff.

So folks, what do you like to see on your cheeseboard?

Jay.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Its difficult to choose since I live in the world capital of cheese.

Id say the top ones for me would be

St. Agur or Roquefort depending on my mood. Both a strong blue but St Agur is dense, smooth and creamy while Roquefort is sharp and metalic.
St Nectare, a lot like a Tomme but a mushroomey rind
An aged Cantel
Brie du Meaux (not the nasty pasturized brie sold in the US)
A 3+ year aged Gouda

I do like Stilton but its hard to get where I live

In France cheese is part of dinner. After a good meal it is served before desert.
I moved here for the dairy!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I like several cheeses, but none too exotic. I prefer sharp yellow cheddar, white cheddar, Swiss, provolone,
mozzarella, etc. Do not like stinky or gooey cheeses.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I am Greek, as such Feta is the irreplaceable king of cheese for me.

Other than that I like Cretan gruyere, aged and spicy Swiss gruyere, extra mature English cheddar.

As for Swiss cheese, I would bet $$$ that it's the only cheese available in hell. Yeah, I said it.
Honestly living here about 3 years now I wondered myself about their cheeses. They're quite famous but frankly most taste the same to, and not great. I do like Swiss gruyere but it needs to be aged as I said above. Interestingly some Swiss people I know get their gruyere in France, claiming that the Swiss - pasteurised - version is inferior to the French - unpasteurised - one. Personally I like both.