And There Was Me Thinking Only Brits Were Eccentric.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Isn't eccentric just being mad but with enough class or money for it to cause wide spread harm or entertainment.
From the OED.

Eccentric: Sense 6

b. Of persons and personal attributes: Deviating from usual methods, odd, whimsical.

1685 in N. Thompson Coll. Loyal Poems 6 The Brightest, yet the Most Excentrick Soul.

1695 Ld. Preston tr. Boethius Of Consol. Philos. ii. 68 The Extravagance of Excentrick and irregular Desires.

1771 H. Mackenzie Man of Feeling (1803) xxxiv. 61 His motives were rather excentric.

1801 R. L. Edgeworth in M. Edgeworth Moral Tales I. Pref. p. viii ‘Forester’ is the picture of an eccentric character.

1836 H. Rogers Life J. Howe (1863) ii. 19 That great, though unequal and eccentric genius.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think our pumpkin sailing friend is a perfect example of "deviating from usual methods, odd and whimsical".

Interesting early spelling, I never knew that.

Regards,

Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are certainly degrees of eccentricity! Some will consider any one smoking a pipe as mildly eccentric. At the other end, high eccentricity is hard to tell from insanity.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
didn't see your post before making the same comment. Which is as close to proof we're going to get that we're right. By the way I aspire to being eccentric instead of just crazy.
So, are you rich?

There's perhaps a mild correlation of net worth to eccentricity, but there are millions of poor eccentrics. Some on this very board!

Reactions: mawnansmiff

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
New question! Are those who go out of their way to do uncommon things eccentric, or merely attention seekers?
Attention seekers. Eccentrics don't even realize they stand out.

That's what I think, anyway. And I'm frequently wrong!

Reactions: jpmcwjr