PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
Congratulations Ben. I myself started as a dishwasher many years ago and worked my way up to an executive position. My happiest days are when I can still hop in and work the line. Expediting is the best way to learn the food and the flow of the line.

Aug 14, 2012
Slide man is what the job used to be called. I had the same kind of background as rockford. Started washing dishes, my last job in the business was general manager of a very high level private men's club. I hosted governors and Federal judges.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm still more interested in having you post pix of that blonde cutie pie you were dating :lol:

...but congrats on your promotion anyway. :wink:
Found one!

262425_241713585860830_100000665709302_797341_8371866_n.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I had a job as a dishwasher in the late 70s. One of the worst jobs I ever had. I only lasted a month.
I too had a job as a dishwasher when I was in high school. After 3 months of that, I said enough of this shit, and that's when I made up my mind to go to university.
That said, I think if I could choose any other job other than what I am doing now, it would be a chef. I just love to cook, though I suspect cooking for one's own pleasure is a world apart from cooking as your profession. A tough job, from what I understand, but I'm sure a rewarding one as well.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
To be a chef you have to be able to cook many things at once and know instinctively when they are all done even if one is supposed to be rare, medium, well done, ect... I have worked in kitchens with decent chefs and just seeing what they do boggles my mind. It is a true art and when the kitchen goes busy it is like a war zone where they are fighting for their lives... definitely a job I would never want to have, I definitely have great respect for them for sure.
The chefs that actually leave the kitchen and talk to their customers after they have dug into their meals are awesome. That kind of interaction brings so many customers back.

Aug 1, 2012
Glad to hear you have a chance to move up the ladder. Personally, I didn't make it as a cook. I did a stint as a fry cook and washed out after a couple weeks. The cooking wasn't the problem, the work wasn't the problem, I just didn't have the memory to keep all the dish requirements straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.