PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
So I recieved a large order from P & C yesterday. Being the cheap bastard old codger that I am I purchased a bag of Rest of the Best. I was a little skeptical about it but the smell was such a mixture of so many thing i cant even give a description. I lite a bowl and was impressed with how smooth and tasty it was. As a tightwad I think I hit the lottery

At the risk of being classified as an enabler, you can get a similar deal from The Country Squire Tobacconist and I would wager these two retailers aren't the only ones offering this option....

Country Squire Tobacconist Whatever Blend

Happy smoking!

Cheers,

Chili

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Well hell let me spill the beans. I admit to having a place to put leftover tobacco from blends at the end of a tin that will not fill a pipe enough to deliver a predetermined pipesmoking expectation. I do however try to keep these separated. Let me give you an example. Dinner tonight was early spring baby peas, mashed potatoes chicken fried steak with dinner rolls.

Now I'm sure some of you are in the camp that just do not care about the peas sliding over into the mashed potatoes. I however will have none of that and want my potatos to be potatos and peas peas please.

So i have one for Virginia/Vapers and another one for English/Balken.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Well hell let me spill the beans. I admit to having a place to put leftover tobacco from blends at the end of a tin that will not fill a pipe enough to deliver a predetermined pipesmoking expectation. I do however try to keep these separated. Let me give you an example. Dinner tonight was early spring baby peas, mashed potatoes chicken fried steak with dinner rolls.

Now I'm sure some of you are in the camp that just do not care about the peas sliding over into the mashed potatoes. I however will have none of that and want my potatos to be potatos and peas peas please.

So i have one for Virginia/Vapers and another one for English/Balken.
I am a slop it all in a big pile kinda guy

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Sounds like my little jar is gonna be terrible when I get around to trying it..it has lots of aero and a few English scraps.

When I want to dry a blend out, I put a few pinches on a note card I bent like a trough. If there are leftovers and I don't plan to make another pipe by the next day I dump the leftovers in my jar. It's normally not much at all and I probably should have been throwing it away along, but now very curious about the taste.

The contents are from the beginning of my pipe journey around 2015 to present. The jar is pint size I believe and is just about 1/2-2/3 full.

Sounds like my little jar is gonna be terrible when I get around to trying it..it has lots of aero and a few English scraps.
You won't know till you try it. Who knows, it could be a favorite.
If there are leftovers and I don't plan to make another pipe by the next day I dump the leftovers in my jar.
This is why I dry the whole tin or jar out at one time. I can then just put leftovers back in with the rest of the dried tobacco. But, I smoke a lot and fast, so a dried jar will maybe last be a couple of weeks at best. But, do what works best for you.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
At the risk of being classified as an enabler, you can get a similar deal from The Country Squire Tobacconist and I would wager these two retailers aren't the only ones offering this option....

Country Squire Tobacconist Whatever Blend

Happy smoking!

Cheers,

Chili
Smokingpipes sells the three Grand Croupier blends, they are the same idea from C&D. One is English, one is aro, and one is burley/virginia (and a decent amount of perique in the bag I got, IMO). I like all three quite a lot, especially Boneyard, the English blend.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Best Of The Rest is a excellent blend IMO. Have 2 pounds of the Aro and 1 English. The aro's both have the same flavor and is a single blend rather than a hodge-podge mixture. It smells and tastes like butterscotch or perhaps a sweet Coffee like a Cappuccino or latte. Burns perfect despite being a tad moist on the bag. Was really blown away by this blend and was not expecting it to be half as great as it really is, especially for the price of $16/LB.

The English is also quite good same goes for Boneyard from SP and would think MOST people would be surprised by this blend if they didn't see the packaging or know what it is, would put it right up there with any other top notch English blend.

I like the idea of these discount style blends and am glad to see P&C keeps it in stock as the Grand Coupier ones from SP are hardly never in stock and was very lucky to have been at the right place at the right time to get some Double Down and Boneyard, with 1LB each they will last a lifetime as far as I'm concerned. Highly recommend trying these blends to see for yourself.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been smoking earnestly for 7 yrs and enjoyed the 'bargain' of Best of the Rest for a couple of pound's worth or so, back early on. I can't speak to the so called "English" version, but I will say that as my taste buds developed, I found the aromatic leftover's weren't all that symphonic.
In fact this may have helped keep me from trying aromatics for quite awhile, as I began smoking mostly my own mixes from bulk tobaccos of non aromatic nature.
I've recently added a couple of lbs. of Lane cavendish blends to the larder and have been playing with mixtures of these along with non aromatic tobaccos. (Dark Red and Black Vanilla Cavendish)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
From the title, I thought ths was going to be a much more interesting topic. It reminded me ot the camping trips I took while in college.

Everyone knows, or ought to, the Roman punishment for parricide. Less well known is the “orgy in a bag” punishment inflicted for lesser offenses (e.g. jaywalking, drinking red wine with fish, admitting your favorite album is Girl You Know It’s True, inadvertent eructation, etc). For a complete list of the many “...in a bag” punishments meted out under Roman law see Will and Ariel Durant’s Caesar and Christ page 837 et passim.

Status
Not open for further replies.