PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Last February I started helping a lady sell some of her father-in-laws pipes. In exchange she gave me my pick of three of them. I kept a Castello Sea Rock KKK and a Thomas Cristiano. None of the others really grabbed me but I kept holding on to this one for some reason. I finally pulled it out and decided to smoke it.

It's just an Algerian briar made in France, but I think I kept it because it's stamp "duTreil N. O. L. A." I did some research and one of the older New Orleans Pipe Club members remembered the shop. It was on Canal Street in New Orleans and went out of business around 1963.

duTreil.jpg
duTreil_stamp.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a pretty cool find! Any pictures of the old shop? Google didn't yield any results. (but a doctor by that name with a practice in NOLA)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Beautiful pipe! I've got a wonderful French Tinderbox pipe stamped Algerian Briar, kind of the same deal. I love those old pipes made for long defunct tobaconists. Enjoy!

Reactions: dmcmtk and jpmcwjr

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Nice pipe with a nice little backstory. Is it just the lighting, or is the bowl a slightly different shade than the shank?
It's the lighting I think. That photo was taken outside.

That is a pretty cool find! Any pictures of the old shop? Google didn't yield any results. (but a doctor by that name with a practice in NOLA)
I've tried but have been unable to find anything so far. The club member who told me about the shop is in his late 80s and remembered shopping there.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Not too much to add to the backstory of your pipe. I can say that the business which sold it was called The Pipe Shop, which was located at 702 Gravier Street in the heart of New Orleans. The Pipe Shop was run by several siblings including Henry Viala Nadau du Treil (1915-1989), Anna Isabelle Nadau du Treil (1907-?), and Laura Rosalie Nadau du Treil (1917-1998). The first reference I could find to the shop was from 1963 and the last from 1973.

IMG_2435.jpgIMG_2434.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great convergence of French influence and the NOLA aura, and it looks like a good-smoking pipe, French after all.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Not too much to add to the backstory of your pipe. I can say that the business which sold it was called The Pipe Shop, which was located at 702 Gravier Street in the heart of New Orleans. The Pipe Shop was run by several siblings including Henry Viala Nadau du Treil (1915-1989), Anna Isabelle Nadau du Treil (1907-?), and Laura Rosalie Nadau du Treil (1917-1998). The first reference I could find to the shop was from 1963 and the last from 1973.

View attachment 45587View attachment 45588
Where did you find that?

Status
Not open for further replies.