PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
I own many pipes. Several briars, many cobs, a meerschaum, a meerschaum lined briar, and of course my assorted basket pipes....
Well about five years ago I was away from home and stopped by a local B&M and picked up an MM Ozark hardwood. It was the cheapest pipe they had and I figured I'd only use it a few times anyhow. It's been a while now and it is still by far my favorite pipe. Recently I ordered two more and love them the same. Though they have a different shape. Tapered at the top like the MM country gentlemen. That's alright, though I prefer the other shape because then the top doesn't get hot.
My briars sometimes smoke better for a bowl here and here but this pipe consistently gives a great smoke. My guess ( and tell me if I'm full of it ) is that what makes the briars a good smoke is it's porousness. But this may also be what makes them sour if smoked for more than one or two bowls a day or week. My hardwoods get a good cake after a bit and that adds to their porousness. But the wood doesn't absorb the terrible. I love these pipes because they are cool, and can be smoked all day long (unless I overwhelm them with Latakia, in which case they can need a rest).
I have more expensive pipes. But I have none better.
I will hang on to my others. But I highly advise working these in to your rotation. They take a bit for the stem that extends in to the bowl to burn off and to build a good cake. But then they are fantastic.
I only have one of the new maple hardwoods. It's the spool. And so far I'm pleased. But doubt it will grow to the same level of appreciation I have for these old Ozarks.
And my picture upload is failing. So use your imagination!

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I have only had the maple hardwoods and of course the corn cobs, there my favorite pipe and for the reason you mentioned, consistency. I notice a difference in my briar if it's a rainy day or sunny. Living in Oklahoma the humidity level can vary by 100% in a 24 hour period. I started using my cobs more when I was learning to get a consistent smoke out of different blends so I could find what I liked, now I have grown to love the taste so much I can't go back to my briars!

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
cdunkqH.jpg

Finally got the pic. Old one in the middle. New on sides.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, those are pretty. With so many beloved briars, I'm afraid to get one or more of these. The

power of simplicity can be overwhelming. I like to keep my briars gently but continuously smoked.

These pipes are classic, certainly similar to those smoked by seafaring crews for time immemorial,

or since tobacco was borrowed from Native Americans. Two of my old Savenelli unfinished pipes,

now finished to a golden honey brown with decades of use, have this same glow. They're like grand

old dogs, just beyond price. Price doesn't enter into it.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
Ive been waivering on trying one of these but they lok very nice in your photo. Think im going to have to get one after all.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Okay, now I'm intrigued. I'm definitely picking one up next chance I get. They only have the small ones at my local shop, so I'll have to look around. I have to admit, I like the looks and size, so if they smoke as great as you guys say, could be a great outdoors hunting and fishing pipe for me. Can you safely pull the stem when hot? Smoke good without a filter?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just received a maple Diplomat in the mail today! I have only smoked one bowl of Anni Kake in it so far, so no comment

until it's broken in a bit -- especially not until that little stub of the shank burns away.
Some observations:
  • One of my beefs with cobs is their small chamber diameter. I never felt confident about enlarging them.

With the maple Diplomat I easily enlarged the ¾" bowl by another 16th inch with coarse sandpaper -- just right.

The bowl was lacquered, but it came off with fine sandpaper; and it took a coat of carnauba wax very nicely.
So I'm ready to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.