PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I've found that Virginia tobaccos, including those that aren't pure Virginias, but for which Virginias are a significant portion of the blend, sting my nostrils. It's not that I find their aroma unpleasant. It actually physically irritates me. I've never had this experience with Aromatics, Englishs, Burleys, Orientals, etc. Only Virginias. Am I the only one?

Jun 25, 2021
England
I smoke mostly Virginias and have experienced what you say at times, but it never lasts long with me. Just the odd smoke here and there.
I've not experienced it for months now. I put it down to myself not the tobacco.
Could be something I breathed in while I'm out and about.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Anytime you retro hale any type of smoke you will get t a stinging cessation. At least that has been my experience.
Never with Granger—I retro every puff. Mild as can be.

To the OP’s question, yes there are many blends that sting. If I can’t retro a blend, it’s not for me. — It’s not Virginia in my case. MacBarren Virginia #1 never bothered me.

Its blend by blend.

I have my favorites and they’re as mild as air, for me. We all differ.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
For me, it depends on the blend. I prefer red Va's because they seem the sweetest and most smooth for me. I imagine a ton of it has to do with individual chemistry and physiology.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've never experienced any sort of stinging sensation in my schnoz from retrohaling Virginias, nor any other type of tobacco. I have gone through periods when a type of Virginia would really sting, and other periods when that would just go away. For the most part, no tobacco variety causes me discomfort.

Reactions: anotherbob

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
To answer some of the questions that have been asked:
  • It has nothing to do with retrohaling. I get this sensation on exhale as well.
  • It definitely has nothing to do with nicotine. I've smoked cigarettes, cigars and vaped. Never had this experience before with any of those, much higher, nicotine products.
  • It also doesn't seem to matter which strain of Virginias. That said, I'm not certain of this bit. Does anyone have any insights into which Virginias I would need to smoke to execute this little experiment? Here's what's currently in my cellar:
    • Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Morning
      Cornell & Diehl - Sansepolcro (Small Batch)
      Gawith Hoggarth - Ennerdale Flake
      GL Pease - Haddo's Delight
      GL Pease - Windjammer
      Mac Baren - HH Rustica
      Mac Baren - Old Dark Fired
      Mac Baren - Pure Virginia
      Orlik - Golden Sliced
      Peterson - Elizabethan Mixture
      Peterson - University Flake
      STG - Escudo Navy De Luxe
      Sutliff - Crumble Kake Barrel Aged Series No.2 Limited Edition
      Warped - Until the End