PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Just got in my B42 spigot-lovely pipe. First B42 I own. Already had a Darwin, (stamped Darwin). Not only is the Darwin shape slightly different being plumper but my B42 chamber depth is easily 5x deeper than the Darwin I own. Needless to say, nowadays I tend to smoke deeper chambered pipes most of the time and will appreciate this more than my Darwin.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I don’t own a Darwin, Darwin yet but I own 6 Darwin B42’s which means I own several Darwins that technically aren’t Darwins but are indeed Darwins.

I’m really fond of the B42’s. The bowl size is perfect for a good smoke.
Yup, the B42's chamber being both broad and deep will fit well with my preference for large chambers. While I'd say the Darwin is a true chubby apple, I'd say the B42 is a hybrid of an apple and a brandy shape. Do love the look of that shape. My Darwin being rather shallow now leads me to smoke it seldom given current preferences. The B42 spigot will be in my weekly rotation.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Very helpful! I’d been searching for a real Darwin (most that identify a “Darwin” are selling a B42) but also liking the B42 shape but not owning one. I’d read about the B42 maybe not being as stout (generally prefer chubbier) but didn’t know about the chamber difference. You influenced me to take the plunge and I have a B42 on the way in the St. Pat’s model.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I was surprised by how big the chamber was on my B42. I remember looking at the dimensions on the site and having a picture in my head and then being really wrong. I nearly sent it back. But I ended up keeping it and while it had a slower than normal breaking in process, once it was mostly broken in, it became a burley flake smoking machine. Specifically Peterson's Irish Flake.

Reactions: ashdigger

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Very helpful! I’d been searching for a real Darwin (most that identify a “Darwin” are selling a B42) but also liking the B42 shape but not owning one. I’d read about the B42 maybe not being as stout (generally prefer chubbier) but didn’t know about the chamber difference. You influenced me to take the plunge and I have a B42 on the way in the St. Pat’s model.
Well, I certainly love my B42. I find I like the B42 shape as much if not more than the Darwin. Admittedly, there isn't a big difference in their shapes.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I was surprised by how big the chamber was on my B42. I remember looking at the dimensions on the site and having a picture in my head and then being really wrong. I nearly sent it back. But I ended up keeping it and while it had a slower than normal breaking in process, once it was mostly broken in, it became a burley flake smoking machine. Specifically Peterson's Irish Flake.
Looking at the dimensions on the site, was concerned it would be too shallow but was pleasantly surprised how capacious it is. More than adequate depth.

TheCROW

Lurker
Feb 11, 2020
I had no clue about the Darwin, but I was shopping for a pipe and I liked the B42 System Rusticated so I bought it.
It indeed has a deep bowl which I really like, so after some research on the shape I learned about the Darwin, but I was still under the impression that it has the same dimensions as the B42, so thank you for sharing that info!