An introduction, some thoughts, and questions from a new smoker.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

meech

Lurker
Apr 17, 2012
Howdy everyone. My name is Mitch. I'm 19 and from central Ohio. I'm a big fan of forums and as I got into this new hobby I shopped around for different forums and pipesmagazine seems to be the best. I'm about two weeks into pipe smoking and I just bought my second pipe yesterday. In high school I smoked a lot of marijuana, and decided to quit so I could get a decent job while in college. One thing I missed the most was just sitting around with my buddies sharing a smoke. First I picked up Cigars, and I loved them, still do. The problem was that it takes some dedication to smoke a cigar. You get a nice stogie, and you're in for the long haul. You can snuff it out, but it tastes like garbage after you relight it, and I wasn't the cigar-a-day kind of guy either, sometimes I'd go weeks between smoking, and without the right equipment your cigars will dry out and be no good. I was talking to my dad about this and he mentioned that he used to smoke a pipe when he was in the Marine Corps. He said it was cheaper and not only was it easier to store the tobacco, but its more friendly when you're in the mood for a short smoke. Just pack a small bowl.
So I decided a 40 dollar investment wasn't a big deal, and I purchased a pack online that included a Dr. Grabow pipe, a 1.5 oz bag of Captain Black, a 1.5 oz bag of Borkum Riff, a pipe tool, and a bundle of cleaners. I was instantly hooked. I enjoy the Captain Black, but the Borkum Riff is just awful.. Yesterday I went to my local Tobacconist and checked out his selection. It seems they cater more towards cigar and ciggarette smokers. They had probably 15 pipes in stock and a modest selection of tobacco. (What I presume is modest that is. In comparison their plethora of cigars the pipe tobacco seemed non existent) I perused the pipes for a good while. They had three Churchwardens and I was seriously considering one. I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings and it instantly made me think of Gandalf and Bilbo sitting out front of Bag End smoking pipes. I instead went with what I'm guessing is a Dublin or Billiard style pipe. Its stamped "Made in Italy" as well as "H.I.S." I'm really really really starting to enjoy it.
I then made my way towards the tobacco. I passed the tinned stuff after my dad made a joke about letting Prince Albert out of the can and went right to the house blends. There were probably 10 large class jars containing different blends. The prices seemed reasonable (1-3 oz. cost $4/oz, 4-6 was $3.50/oz and it went on like that. Makes sense.. Bulk anything is always cheaper.) but then again I don't have much to compare to. I bought two blends, one oz each based on the tobacconist's recommendation and smell. One was real dark brown, almost black and very moist call Emporium Especial. The other was much dryer, smelled of cherry, and looked like your average tobacco called simply Sam's Blend. I've smoked both so far, and I feel so-so on Sam's blend.. It smokes very hot for my liking. The other I'm in love with. I intend to buy some more next time I go in.
One thing I love about pipe smoking is if I need to go do something or just need a break I can snuff out the pipe, set it down and come back later and light it back up with out a major stale taste.
Now that I'm done with that I have a few questions. My new pipe collects moisture quickly. I have to run a pipe cleaner through it three to four times in a full smoke to dry it out. At first I thought it was the new tobacco, and it does seem to play into it, because in the Dr. G it collects a bit of moisture in a smoke but no where near as much as the new pipe. I've smoked the other blend in it and even it gets a bit of gurgle but not quite as much as the dark tobacco. Any thoughts?
Another is about finding a tobacco. I'm a fan of Albert Einstein, and I saw this picture on Reddit today (http://pastorgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/einsteins-desk1.jpeg) It got me curious what he smoked. I discovered the tobacco is called Revelation, but it is no longer made. I was wondering if any one has tried it, and if so whats it like? And can you recommend anything similar?
Well Thank you all for reading my novella. I hope to continue smoking and posting for long time.
-Mitch.
-Edit-

Another thing.. Is there an actual Pipesmagazine magazine?

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
With the moisture problem, try letting your tobacco dry out a bit before you smoke. Hope that helps. Anyways welcome to the forum!

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Welcome aboard, meech!
Just be patient. Keep several pipes and allow them a day of rest. Always use a pipe cleaner after every smoke. Use a "dull" pipe knife to scrape residue tobacco from your bowl after smoking. It's just wonderful to see "new" pipe smoker's come into this wonderful hobby. I wish you the greatest of pleasure with your pipe!
Cornell and Diehl has a "knock-off" on Revelation. It is called Epiphany. Personally, I think it is very close and even better than the Original. Give them a call and tell them that "Captain Bob" sent you. They will be pleased to include a free sample of another blend you that specify, just for the asking! They have so many wonderful blends. Might I also suggest Tuskegee Airman? Not all that different from Revelation. Try them both.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Welcome!
Does anyone except Kevin actually like Borkum Riff? :lol:
I wouldn't mind trying some of the real Revelation too - it might make me smarter.
I use a pipe cleaner while smoking if the pipe gets wet and starts to gurgle.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome to the forum, Mitch.
If you smoke Revelation your hair will turn white and stand on end - not a good look for a 19 year old.
I agree with Frenchy11. Let your tobacco dry out a little. And most importantly, Smoke Slowly.

All my pipes stopped gurgling when I learned to slow down.
Also, keep your pipes clean and let them dry out between smokes.
I'm glad to see you trying different tobaccos. You won't like them all, but there are lots out there.
We may not have paper, but we do have Cartoons.
Enjoy! :puffy:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
It's an online-only magazine. But I'm of the opinion that this is a pretty prestigious online magazine.
I commend you on making a thorough introduction up front, mitch
Some tobacconists take known blenders bulk blends and rename them for the effect of making it appear you can only get that tobacco in their shop. You will probably be able to tell something about the character of those who run that shop if they'll divulge the blender of their "house" blends.
I bought a tin of Revelation oh, 7 years ago I think and I didn't like it.
Your dad passed on some good info about pipes. My first pipe was a Doc Grabow grand duke. It sounds like you like aromatics, there's plenty of good ones to choose from, but I would look to Lane Limited and Peter Stokkebye aromatics first.
and welcome to the forum :puffy:

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Welcome aboard, Mitch! +1 on the suggestions to let your tobacco dry a little before smoking, and slowing your cadence down some as well to control gurgle. Also, if you're looking for a good all day smoke in a bulk blend. I'd recommend you try some Lane 1Q. Almost any B&M will have it either under that name, or renamed as one of their house blends.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Welcome to the forum!
I like a churchwarden because it smokes fairly cool do to the long stem. When I was your age I acquired a corn cob and a cheap wood pipe to start, then got a briar, a brylon (avoid brylon), a clay, and a meerschaum. I got my first tobacco house pipe (an Edward's Briar)in 1981 and I have stuck with mostly briar ever since. Experiment a bit, get some sampler assortments from different vendors, and try the Sherlock Holmes 3 pipe solution: a briar, a clay, and a corn cob. (Okay, it's supposed to be a cherrywood, but those are uncommon). And get that churchwarden if you like it. After all, it's all about what you like, and not so much what other's think about it. Don't puff like as freight train either, you will get a lot of gurgle, burn your tongue, and miss the best part of smoking a pipe: relaxation. Puff slow, sip your tobacco, and let the flavor unfurl on your palate. And most of all, enjoy!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Welcome Mitch! +1 to pretty much all of the above...a lot of trial & error involved. I'm still trying to figure it all out after several years...but it's a fun and pleasurable journey. I've learned a lot here, I'm sure you will too.
rigmedic's suggestion is a good one to pick up a couple of cobs to help with your pipe rotation at first...they are very inexpensive...like $5 or less:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/micocobme.html
http://www.corncobpipe.com/
Also, an invaluable resource for info on tobacco brands and blends is:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Welcome! If you live near Columbus, you have three or four outstanding pipe shops you can go to (Smoker's Haven, Pipes and Pleasures, Tinder Box) so as you become more "learned" with the pipe, you can still go local for what you'll need. Glad you laid off the dope.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Welcome, there pretty much isn't more to say that hasn't been sai already. If you have questions, ask we are always glad to help a new brother out.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard. I won't try to add to the advice, except for my standard line: Buy the best pipes and tobacco you can afford. Nothing wrong with starting with drug store stuff, but there is much more to the hobby then that.
And, depending on the store, those tinned blends you blew by might be as good or better than the bulks. :puffy:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome Mitch! Lots of good advice available here.
I agree with what Jud said about the tins--even the Ones Labeled Prince Albert!

bakerbrett741

Lurker
Apr 15, 2012
I recieved my pipes today and gave them a go. They seem to need to be lit a lot(not staying burning) and I noticed I have a lot of chared tobacco as opposed to ash. Am I packing incorrectly? Any pointers?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Some excellent videos and information about how to pack, and properly light, smoke and care for your pipes can be found in the links on the left. In a nutshell, however, I like to follow the advice passed to the member tiltjp by his father, long before I was a glimmer in my fathers eye. I figure if it worked for John and his family for 50+ years, it's good enough for me!
Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to. Pack it looser than you think you need to. Smoke it slower than you think you need to. Tamp it less, and more lightly, than you think you need to. Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort. Don’t worry if you have a few relights. And realize that becoming an accomplished pipe smoker will take time, patience, and trial and error.
This can be found in the invaluable "Corn-Cob Primer", as penned by tiltjp himself.

clunk

Lurker
Apr 9, 2012
Welcome.
One of the most important things you need to remember about smoking a pipe is never smoke during sex, apart from that anything goes.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Adam nailed it with that oft-repeated advice--slow & steady wins this race, my friend. Mainly allow yourself to figure out what works for you. The dedication pays off.
I would like to contend two points though: I am the other person that likes Borkum Riff :nana: , and yes, just last weekend I proved you actually can smoke during sex :roll: . I'll spare you the details on both.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Welcome to the forum. I also commend you on a proper introduction. Advice wise I'd chime in with the others and give the same advice I give to anyone new to pipe smoking that is complaining about hot wet smokes. Dry your tobacco out, pack tight enough to pack it but loose enough that the packed tobacco is still springy to the touch, slooooooooooow down on your puffing and only tamp with the pressure of gravity or just enough to keep lightly crushing the ash down to the ember. Good to have you bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.