PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
from what I've been told the main reason they're so crazy about taxes with tobacco is it's one of the few places that it's easy to grow tobacco at home in quantities where people can have thriving black market tobacco hustles.
yes I can say that the law change has certainly made my friends and I more passionate and involved in the hobby through growing our own. I probably wouldn’t have bothered to explore growing without the push and I am grateful for that. I could easily make a lot of money through supplying black market RYO tobacco but i have zero intention of doing so and don’t want to bring the stress of any illegal activity into something I enjoy. Main reasons for law change were to obviously to secure tax revenue of imported stuff that avoided duty and it fits within the smoke free rhetoric. Before the permit program, customs had to prove you were import with an intent to avoid duty in order to press charges. Also legislation now includes whole leaf tobacco. Previously this was exempt from tax. I heard of a guy who imported a ton (literally) of whole leaf all up and couldn’t be charged duty tax - essentially a 500k us. You should have seen the leaf pouring in leading up to July. Was a frantic dash to the finish line

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yes I can say that the law change has certainly made my friends and I more passionate and involved in the hobby through growing our own. I probably wouldn’t have bothered to explore growing without the push and I am grateful for that. I could easily make a lot of money through supplying black market RYO tobacco but i have zero intention of doing so and don’t want to bring the stress of any illegal activity into something I enjoy. Main reasons for law change were to obviously to secure tax revenue of imported stuff that avoided duty and it fits within the smoke free rhetoric. Before the permit program, customs had to prove you were import with an intent to avoid duty in order to press charges. Also legislation now includes whole leaf tobacco. Previously this was exempt from tax. I heard of a guy who imported a ton (literally) of whole leaf all up and couldn’t be charged duty tax - essentially a 500k us. You should have seen the leaf pouring in leading up to July. Was a frantic dash to the finish line
has anyone talked to a lawyer about how it effects someone like you and what steps one might be able to take to get some tobacco. I don't know if that might help but might be worth finding out.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I’m working my way through a jar of 1980s st Bruno. Part of me wanted to jar it into smaller portions to savour, but as this is my chance to try that version I’ve decided to just smoke the shit out of it and enjoy it. I’ve noticed that even after the 3rd bowl my palette has adjusted to the smoke and im enjoying it even more. I fear that by trying to make something special last longer, I will be depriving myself the chance to know the blend - obviously different if like @Grangerous you are revisiting favourites and can decant out. I do the same with some of the remnants of GH blends. Chuck the last bowls worth in a jar full of OTC burley and it adds a nice background note
I agree with this. This past summer I smoked a 2009 tin of McClelland's St James Wood. That's all I smoked until it was gone. Wonderful, and by smoking it up like that, I really did get to know it better and enjoyed it all the more.

Reactions: tg51 and Ahi Ka